01

❥︎❥︎

A O K I

"AOKI!!"

With a groan, I covered myself using my comforter, ignoring the call of my mother from outside the room.

"Hey, Aoki. Get up now. You'll be late."

Without much of a choice, I sat up as mom made her way inside my room, going around and around, making my head ache early in the morning and it didn't help when she pushed open all of the curtains to let some sunlight inside my room.

"Wake up. You have to go to school. Get up and I'll prepare your breakfast. What do you want strawberry pancakes or cherry?" She asked.

"Hmm... Strawberry."

"Okay. Get up now."

It was just that and she immediately left, leaving me sitting up alone in this room that have been mine for almost a month now.

It has been exactly four weeks since we moved to this house. My mom just got engaged and is currently planning to get married, and living together is the first step they took to bring our family closer even before the awaited wedding.

It wasn't really a problem for me since mom's fiancé is nice and all. He's nice and cool, he treats me as if he sees me as his own daughter. But if I'll be honest, I'm still adjusting to the new environment I'm now into. From the new school, to our new house and the new environment—everything feels surreal and somewhat overwhelming for me.

I'm still not used with some things prior to their engagement and this new family stuff happening; just like my mom waking me up in the morning and preparing breakfast. She was never that type of person before. She's more of the office-type. She was way too busy in her office to be in the kitchen early in the morning.

But now that she's engaged, again, they argued that she'll be staying staying in the house to have her well deserved break from her work and to also prepare for the upcoming wedding.

I'll say that mom's a businesswoman of her own which kinda deprived me of her time when I was a kid, but it's fine. She always told me that it's gonna be fine since she's working for the two of us.

Before I went out of my room, I went to my study desk and took something from its drawer. It's a necklace I wear all the time yet I try so hard for mom not to notice. She probably doesn't want to see me wearing it.

"Hey, mom."

I greeted mom when I saw her preparing breakfast in the open kitchen. It's still a new sight for me to see her in the kitchen, wearing an apron and going all around. I took my seat on the breakfast bar and she served me my pancakes—burnt pancakes.

"Good morning. Come on now, eat up." I didn't say anything about it since she worked hard to prepare breakfast.

"Oh, good morning." I turned to mom's fiancé, Uncle Lee, when he went out of their shared room.

"Hi, Uncle Lee." I greet him back, returning a smile. We kinda have an unwritten agreement to call him that since I don't think I'll be able to call him anything else but that.