32

❥︎❥︎

The camp week came to an end quickly as we spent it memorably. Johnny knew a lot of fun hangout spots we all went to and we had so much fun. I think I had so much fun in the whole week more than in my whole life. Also, the fact that Taeyong and I didn't have to hide from them anymore. It was such a relief.

As for Taeyong and I... I honestly feel like our connection had gotten stronger after that week, especially after meeting his mom. Witnessing how his mother acted around him and hearing stories from him made me realize that he's someone who needs to be loved so much.

He's just like me.

"You have the conference for tomorrow, Aoki. I hope you did not forget about that."

I nodded along with mom's words, slicing the piece of chicken breast on my plate. We're back home and the first thing mom did was to remind me about the conference tomorrow.

"I'm actually wondering if I can skip tomorrow's conference?"

She shot her head up and looked at me with her arched brow, questioning why I said that. I regretted asking it now.

"Well, I... I have some papers to finish and I want to prioritize it so I can pass it ahead of the deadline—"

"I'm certain you can manage your time well, sweetie. You're not a child anymore. And what did I tell you about procrastinating?"

"No, I wasn't procrastinating. I just really want to pass it ahead—"

"Well maybe if you did not come to that camp week about some stupid documentary, then maybe your papers are finished by now," she says.

"Oh, what are you saying, Ara? She said she's not procrastinating, and you also let her come to that camp week. She needed and wanted to be there and I'm glad she did come there." Uncle Lee joined in the conversation, hearing how my mom found flaws in me again.

"And that's not an enough reason for her to just not do her responsibility. She had her fun. It was for a week and I'm asking for just a day." Mom argued.

"What? We're talking about a conference here, Ara. Attending that is not Aoki's responsibility. You shouldn't obligate her to participate if she doesn't want to."

"And attending that camp week is her responsibility?"

"No, mom. I—"

"Yes. She's a student for Pete's sake, Ara. That camp week is what she needed more than that conference. Plus, she's only asking for a day off tomorrow." Uncle Lee was going all out in defending me and I don't why but for some reason, I felt numb hearing them argue. There was no Taeyong to get in between.

"Well her reason is not enough. It's her fault that she's now cramming so she should learn her lesson—"

"I'm just anxious about it, mom." I cleared up to stop them from arguing with each other. "We have an upcoming presentation and there's gonna be a lot of people who will be listening so I'm a bit anxious."

"You're anxious? Because?" I couldn't answer immediately as mom sounded and looked irritated as she turns to me again. "Did you not prepare for it?"

"No, I did. I prepared for it but I just... I haven't spoken in front of a large audience yet so I don't know how I'll do."

"See? You prepared for it. You're gonna be just great. No need to be anxious about anything." She shrugs and proceeded with eating her food. "Anxiety is just for the weak, Aoki."