The Truth

Lana ran to the castle, and met Penny in the Grand Staircase. They were going to spy on Ismelda, as she was talking to Jae, which meant something must be up...

"Thanks for helping me find Ismelda, Penny." Lana said anxiously as she reached the top of the stairs next to the Hufflepuff girl.

"You're welcome, hun, but what's wrong? You sound concerned." Penny said.

"Barnaby misunderstood Ismelda's confession, and she ran away, upset. I'm worried she'll do something drastic. She mentioned something about forcing Barnaby to love her..." Lana worried.

"Oh, come on, Lana. Nothing could ever change how much Barnaby feels about you. I mean, have you seen the way he looks at you? Or hugs you? Or kisses you? He's totally in love with you Lana, you have nothing to worry about." Penny awed.

"Thanks, hun." she smiled, "But knowing Ismelda, she could do something terrible..."

"Like a Love Potion? They're powerful, dangerous, and banned from Hogwarts." Penny explained.

"That would explain why she's talking to Jae...let's listen in and see if we can find out for sure what she's up to..."

The girls tried eavesdropping on the conversation between Jae and Ismelda. They walked down the stairs a little more to hear what was being said.

"So, all I have to do is have him eat this sandwich and he'll fall in love with..." Ismelda started, but Jae interrupted.

"Stop right there. I don't want to know." he cringed, "I just provide the Love Potions. What you do with them is entirely on you."

"Ismelda, wait!" Lana exclaimed, running over to them with Penny right behind her.

"Please, you don't have to do this!" Penny added.

"Well, my business here is done. If you ever need anything 'interesting' again, just send me an owl..." Jae stated, walking off down the stairs.

"Leave me alone, Riviera! I have to do this!" Ismelda cried desperately, "After I confessed, I realised I was thick to ever think Barnaby would ever like me as more than just a friend. This Love Potion is the only way we'll be together." she sighed sadly.

Little did the three girls know, Barnaby was hiding behind one of the walls, listening to them.

"That's not true!" Penny said.

"Easy for you to say, just look at you! You're popular and pretty! This might be the only option I have..." Ismelda fought back, "What do you think I should do, Riviera?"

"You shouldn't give him the Love Potion. Please, Ismelda. I know this means a lot to you, but the effects of it won't be real, and that will make you feel worse." Lana pleaded.

"Why does this mean so much to you, Riviera?" Ismelda hissed.

"Because she's my girlfriend." Barnaby said, stepping out from his hiding place and joining the group. Lana's eyes almost burst out of their sockets.

"B-Barnaby? What are you doing here?" Ismelda stammered.

"I followed Lana when she ran to find you...I wanted to see what was going on." he answered.

"What you said about Lana being your girlfriend...i-is it true?" Ismelda asked.

Barnaby and Lana looked at each other, and Lana walked over to him.

"I guess the secret's out..." he told her, smiling sheepishly.

Lana laughed lightly in defeat, looking into his eyes.