A Vault Portrait?

Lana told Rakepick the minute she'd collected all the items that Fletcher wanted. Rakepick wa sprout of her, and took the Gryffindor girl and Barnaby to Knockturn Alley again.

Whilst walking through the dingy alley, Lana clung onto Barnaby, who had an arm around her. They found Fletcher standing outside Borgin & Burke's.

"Welcome to me 'umble 'ome..." he greeted the three.

"I can think of more appropriate adjectives." Rakepick said bluntly.

"C'mon, Patricia. Don't let yer mood ruin this mutually beneficial trade..."

"That's assuming your supposed information is accurate..."

"Ah, you still don't trust me after everything we've been through?"

"You trust your old mate Mundungus, don't ya, Lana Riviera?" he asked the girl.

"I don't know if I trust you, but I believe you know something about the map." Lana replied, as Barnaby pulled her closer to him.

"You see? Some would call Lana gullible or foolish, but..." he started, then looked as if he'd lost his train of thought, "I forgot where I was goin' with that. I trust you brought the items I requested..."

"Yeah. Venomous Tentacula Seeds, Acromantula Venom, and Chimaera Eggs." Lana told him.

"I'm impressed. You're as resourceful as they say. Just like your brother..."

"You knew him?" Lana asked in shock.

"I knew enough. Not as much as-"

"Stop avoiding the subject. Tell us what you know about the Marauder's Map." Rakepick said, conveniently interrupting him.

"Alright. Don't get your cloak in a bunch. I'll tell you everythin' I know..."

They listened to Mundungus for a little while. He rambled a lot, and Lana got distracted by the other dark wizards and witches threatening her. He gave some potentially useful information that caught Lana's attention.

"So, you think the man who attacked you and stole the map transformed into something nbefore he ran off?" she wondered.

"That's right. And my sources tell me 'e got the map back into 'ogwarts some'ow."

"And you think it's the same person who attacked me this year?"

"Seems to me that if you find that person, you'll find that map."

"When we were at the Three Broomsticks, you said the attacker said something after he grabbed the map..." Lana said, "What did he say?"

"'e said, I should 'ave never let this slip through my fingers...'"

"I don't understand..." she frowned.

"I do." Rakepick interjected, "We need to return to Hogwarts immediately..."

"Thank, Merlin..." Barnaby muttered.

"A pleasure doin' business with ya. If you ever want to make another transaction, you know where to find me..." Fletcher said, as they walked off.

**********************************************************************

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Lana asked Rakepick in DADA that same day.

"You'll need to be more specific, Miss Riviera." she replied calmly.

"Who attacked Fletcher, and stole the map?"

"I couldn't tell you even if I was absolutely certain."

"Why not?"

"Because if I'm correct, his very existence will have serious ramifications far beyond the walls of Hogwarts. He's motivated by desperation and fear, and that is a very dangerous combination. You will have to trust that I'm keeping his identity from you for your own good..." Rakepick explained.

"Hmm..." Lana mumbled, unsure if she should trust the woman or not.

"I can only promise you that keeping you away from this thief is for you own safety, Miss Riviera. We can speak after class about an equally important matter that may save your brother and Beatrice Haywood..."

Lana took her seat next to Barnaby, who smiled widely as soon as she approached him.

"Hey, are you alright?" he asked sweetly.

"I'm not sure..." she sighed, frowning slightly.

"What's up?" he asked, placing his hand over hers comfortingly.

She smiled at him and squeezed his hand. She told him all about her worries about Rakepick, and the mysterious thief.

"Look, don't worry about it, Lana. Everything will work out in the end, and you'll have your brother back, and Penny will have her sister back. It'll be back to normal and we can forget anything bad that ever happened." he smiled, in hopes to make her feel better.

"I love you so much..." Lana mumbled, looking into his eyes, her own brimming with tears.

"I love you too, and I promise it will all be ok." he replied, squeezing her hand reassuringly.

She smiled at him and got on with her work, as did he.

"You wanted to talk to me about something else?" Lana asked Rakepick at the end of the lesson.

"There have been rumours of a certain portrait hidden somewhere in Hogwarts. I believe it could prove to be even more important than the Marauder's Map..." Rakepick told her.

"What's the portrait of?"

"A Cursed Vault."

"Why's the vault portrait so important?" Lana wondered.

"Because sometimes a portrait is more than just a portrait. Good luck, Miss Riviera." Rakepick told her.

Lana thought she'd go and find the one person she knew who had a vast amount of knowledge on paintings, Badeea Ali.

They met on the Grand Staircase, and Badeea was admiring the paintings on the wall as Lana approached her.

"Thanks for your help, Badeea." she smiled warmly, "I figured since you know so much about portraits, you could help me find the vault portrait..."

"And I thought, what better way to find a portrait than to talk to other portraits?" Badeea responded, "What do you think Professor Rakepick meant by the vault portrait being more than just a portrait?"

"I'm guessing it's enchanted to give it some sort of special ability..." Lana thought aloud.

"Let's hope that ability helps us break the curse, and free Beatrice..." the Ravenclaw girl smiled, "Let's see what these portraits can tell us about a vault portrait..."

Lana looked up at Beatrice in the portrait, hands pressed up against the canvas in a desperate manner. Her heart broke for the poor girl, and Penny, too. She understood what it was like to lose a sibling, and do everything in your power to get the, back.

"I wish I could understand what Beatrice is saying. I have a feeling she knows more than the others..." Lana sighed.

"I feel terrible for her. Penny must be devastated..." Badeea added sadly.

They spoke to a few more paintings, in hopes of finding the answers they wanted, but nothing was any help...

hey guys :)
so I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter, it's a little shorter than the others, but I promise the next few should be longer!
please vote and comment if you want, it means a lot! :)
much love, byeee <3