Legilimency

After learning that she was a Legilimens, Lana was going to have to train with Snape to strengthen her ability. Although he was a cranky, rude, sour man, Lana appreciated him and his talents. He wasn't her favourite professor, but if working with him was going to help her in future, she was willing.

"Ready your wand, Riviera." Snape told Lana when they were in the Potions room.

"What? Why? I thought you were gonna teach me about Legilimency..." she answered in confusion.

"You may use your wand to defend yourself however you choose."

"Defend myself from what? What are you gonna do?" she asked.

"Break into your mind." he told her.

"What? Hold on. Let's-"

"Legilimens!" Snape muttered.

A strange sensation took over Lana's body. She felt like her mind was being twisted and used. She could feel the power taking over her mind, leaving her feeling helpless and vulnerable.

"I see you and your brother. Five or six years old. Pretending to duel with liquorice wands." Snape's voice echoed in her brain.

"Mum always bought us liquorice wands and peppermint toads..." Lana mumbled.

"You're older now. Your brother convinces you to sneak sickles from your mother's coat pockets." Snape said again, digging through her memories from the past.

"Stop it..." Lana told him, squinting her eyes shut in frustration, but he didn't listen to her.

"Older still. You and your mother crying. This must be the day your brother went missing..." that was the final straw.

"Stop!" she yelled, tears falling down her cheeks.

"It's no wonder your brother has been able to enter your mind from a great distance." Snape said as she wiped away her tears, "You lack control. You didn't even attempt to fight back."

"You never gave me a chance!" she fought back.

"Neither will your enemies. You will need to defend your own mind, but first, you should learn to peer into others..." Snape told her, "I will teach you everything there is to know about Legilimency..."

Snape stuck to his word and taught Lana the basics of the power, and how to use it on others. It was her turn now...

"Use Legilimency on me, Riviera." he ordered.

"Seriously?" Lana said, surprised, but Snape said nothing and glared at her, "Right. You're always serious." she muttered.

"Legilimens!" she said, pulling out her wand and casting the incantation...but nothing happened.

"I didn't see anything..." she said after a minute, "It didn't work." she sighed.

"Just because you didn't see anything, doesn't mean it didn't work. Now, tell me, what do you think about Legilimency?"

"I think it's pretty useful. I can communicate with my brother, know when someone is lying...even protect my friends." Lana answered.

"It's useful, indeed. For both good and evil. Go out and practice Legilimency. I'm certain you will need it to save your brother. If not yourself..."

*********************************************************************

Lana decided to visit Hogsmeade, and see if she could find any of her friends that would be willing to let her practice Legilimency on them.

"Lana! What brings you to The Three Broomsticks?" the owner smiled as Lana walked through the doors.

"Well, I found out that I'm a Legilimens, so I'm trying to master it..." she answered.