The price of memories

Second chapter is here! Hope you like it!

AshuX
***

"What's taking them so long?" I grumbled as I sat down on the same park bench I was sitting on when Chance confessed to me. This bench does have a lot of memories of us, something which reassures me that what we are wasn't just a dream or an imagination.

Chance, Mitch and I are supposed to meet here today and these idiots are making me wait, like always. I don't even know why I bother coming early anymore. Sometimes, I don't even know if I'm the girl here or those idiots.

"Ji Hee Park?" A voice called out to me and I looked at the unfamiliar owner of the voice. A guy, around my age, looked down at my sitting form with a hesitant look on his face.

I cleared my throat, "Yes, that's me."

"I am James Matthew," He smiled at me.

I titled my head, "Um, so?"

"You weren't informed that I'm your date today? Your friend Chance set us up-"

Tears sprung my eyes and I stood up, shaking my head, "I think you got the wrong person."

"If you're Park Ji Hee and your best friend is Chance Wilson, then I came to the right place to find the right person-"

"I'm sorry but I'm not interested. I didn't know about him setting up- I'm sorry!" I bowed my head and ran towards my house. I'm not going to forgive Chance for doing this to me. He had no right to set me up with someone, especially at this place.

I arrived to my apartment with wet cheeks and red eyes. I was going to leave America next week and this is the thing I had to encounter at that place. That bench meant everything to me because Chance and I usually met up and hung out there because I hate hanging out at pubs.

The past weeks faded away with my part-time jobs and web series. Chance and I have talked only twice in a whole month. After ignoring me like that, the least he could do is leave me alone with my memories but he wanted me to paint them with someone else? How could he even think that way? Do I or my memories mean anything to him at all?

It was a peaceful evening outside, the streets filled with chatter of the passerbys, fading white noises of skateboards. The sky was painted with the beauty of sunset. I stated out of my window, a longing face of reminiscing the time I had spent here.

It was one of those days where you find everything becoming a memory, where everything sounds so bittersweet. The scarpbooks I made of my pictures and memories was in my lap. I just wanted to rewind the time here or at least postpone the day of my flight. It was done, the ticket was confirmed and I was going home in less than a week. But it felt like I was going away from my home whenever I think of leaving Mitch, Chance and May.

They still didn't know that I was leaving except May. I have already packed my bags, they are kept under my bed. I almost cleaned up with everything and suddenly going home felt like I was going to a foreign place even though I love my home. Funny how I felt the same way while leaving Korea and everything felt foreign here.

"I heard Chance set you up with a guy-" May stopped talking once she saw my face. She came and sat next to me on the windowsill. I gulped down the tears and I just hugged her tight. I am trying so hard to forget what happened today but I just can't seem to. How can Chance set me up with anyone? What right does he have? Who sets their ex up with anyone? The main question was, will I be able to bring myself to say goodbye to Chance?

"Ji Hee, you know I love you, right?"

I nodded, "I do, and I love you too!"

"But then why do you keep looking at these Korean men? I know that they are idols and I shouldn't be jealous over them but-"