28- Broken Hearts

I finally decide to at least try, not wanting to stay out in the snow any longer. So I tap on Alex's window with my finger.

Three short taps, three long, and three short.

SOS.

After the second time of tapping the pattern, the window opens and I look to see a shirtless Alex wearing sweats. It's extremely dark and I doubt he can see me, but he knows it's me. He helps me in and walks over to the lamp to turn it on.

"No," I tell him . "I'm fine. I just need a place to stay for the night if that's okay."

"Well I can't even see you," Alex points out as he stands next to the lamp, wanting to turn it on.

"It's better that way," I say quietly. I really don't want him to see how terrifying I look and then he will ask questions. He will never look at me the same.

He decides not to listen to me and he turns on the lamp. He immediately puts his hand up to his mouth, and then takes my hand and leads me to the bathroom attached to his room.

Without even my consent, he lifts me up onto the counter and I grunt in pain, hoping he didn't notice. It isn't too bad...

"I'm sorry for bothering you," I tell him as he searches the medicine cabinet above the toilet. He doesn't reply, and instead starts cleaning the numerous cuts on my face.

Neither of us say a word, neither of us knowing what to say.

"Are you wearing something under the hoodie?" Alex asks and I nod my head. He helps me out of his hoodie so I'm just in a cami, and he begins to work on the cuts on my arms. They've all stopped bleeding since they are just superficial, but he was mainly getting a lot of dry blood off.

His jaw is locked this whole time and I can tell he wants to ask so many questions, but he knows not to.

"Now I need to check your stomach," he says as he puts his hands on the hem of the cami, but I immediately stop him.

"No," I say as I forcefully remove his hands. "I'm fine."

"Aurora," he attempts to say calmly but I can hear the frustration, "you are hurt and I need to see how bad it is."

He attempts to lift up the cami again, but I swat his hands away. I already feel overexposed and I am not even lifting my shirt.

"No!" I yell at him and he covers my mouth with his hand.

"Do you really want my mom to come in and see you like this?" he asks me and I immediately shake my head. "Good. Now I won't judge or anything. I am only doing this for your own good."

I nod my head and hold in the tears, afraid of his reaction. He lifts up the cami and I can hear a sharp intake of breath.

"Aurora-" he tries to start, but I interrupt.

"I'm fine," I say as I shove him and hop off the counter, pulling down the cami. Never did I think I'd be in his room in just a cami and spandex. "It's just bruised. It's fine."

"You know that's not what I mean..." he says sadly as he leans against the door frame, looking at me standing in his room.

"It was an accident!" I exclaim as quietly as I can.

"Cuts on your stomach like that aren't accidents!" he says back and I don't know how to reply.

"No they're not," I sigh, "but it was a while ago. I'm fine now."

"How long?"

"It was after the rape," I say so quietly that I'm not sure he can hear. "I was going through a lot at the time."