Rumors

After the match, some of the survivors had ran to the four and congratulated them on their victory. Martha because she shot spot on as always, Eli because he had good timing on using his owl, and Helena because she did the best at decoding. Victor was the only one who came over and congratulated Andrew.

"Woah, that was a really cool move you did with your shovel!" Victor exclaimed, grinning. "I didn't know you could dig yourself underground like that and so quickly!"

Andrew shrugged. "Honestly, I didn't know, either. I just... panicked. Did the first thing that I thought of."

"Well, it was still cool!" Victor said. "C'mon, we can have Emily help you with your minor injuries, and then we can go to dinner."

Emily was kind of like one of the mom figures out of all the survivors. She would carefully examine anyone with injuries and heal them back to full health.

Well, near to full health. There was a few things a doctor couldn't fix. Like the truth.

At dinner, there was a rumor going around that a new person was coming to the manor soon. He had been a convict on the account of murder.

"They're letting in someone who has murdered another person?" Andrew asked Victor, who was sitting right next to him.

Victor nodded. "I mean, they let Vera in here, so that'd make two. Plus or minus Aesop."

"Wait; so they're inviting multiple people here that have killed at least one person, and expecting it to all be fine and well?"

Another nod. "It's not like we have any control on what the owner of the manor decides. We all came here for something. He could be coming for remorse or something, we dunno."

Knowing Victor was probably right, Andrew dropped the subject. The others at the table seemed to be interested to meet this new person. The more the merrier, right?

"You know," Victor mentioned, "the people here aren't bad. They've just got their own things to worry about. Like, I've seen at least Vera be nice to others before."

"You have?" Andrew asked, tilting his head.

"Yep. It's a little rare, but she's okay. Sometimes." Victor shrugged. "She made tea for me and a few others once. It was cool. It was probably because she was in a good mood or was trying to impress someone, though."

"What about Fiona? Or Patricia?"

"I'm not really sure." Victor thought for a moment. "But... they've been through some stuff, too. Everyone here has. Some people have had it worse than others, but that doesn't mean that somebody doesn't have a reason to be respected, even just a little bit."

The two sat in silence for a while, actually starting on their dinner right in front of them. The other people at the table slowly disappeared one by one.

"So, uh," Andrew started, "do you have any, like, special ability?"

"Hm?" Victor looked up at him. "Ohh, you mean like the magic kinda stuff others here have? I don't actually have anything like that. Just letters." He held up his bag seemingly stuffed full. "Wick helps me deliver 'em to people."

"But, I could see the outline of the dungeon place that one time," Andrew pointed out.

"Oh, you probably didn't," Victor said, smiling. "Hope letters have a little map on them that I draw out, at it shows where the dungeon is located. You probably just imagined an outline of it because you memorized where it was, that's all."

"Though, doesn't that meant you have the gift of giving?" Andrew asked.

Victor's eyes lit up. "Woah, maybe!" He giggled a bit and looked up at Andrew.

Andrew could feel the sides of his lips turning up into a smile. It was small, but there.

"I don't think I've seen you smile before," Victor said, poking Andrew's cheek.

Andrew quickly looked away, his face going back to its normal stoic-ish style. "Don't think about this happening all the time," he muttered.

"Fine, fine." Victor smiled and finished his dinner.

Why did he smile around the blonde, anyway? He didn't even really have that much connection with the boy. Hadn't he just gotten there, what... wait, how long had it been? Time was a weird thing in this place, according to the others.

He was still a bit anxious about who the new survivor was going to be. Would they at least be nice? Or, at the very least, not going to hurt any of them?