Letters

Hearing a knock on his door, Andrew stood up and walked over, opening it to see Victor.

"Hey," he said. Victor waved as a response.

"Do you want to hang out or something?" Victor asked. "Neither of us have matches today"

Andrew shrugged. "Sure. Don't have anything else to do, anyway."

The two went out into the hallway and to Victor's room, which was actually right next to Andrew's.

Victor's room had a desk in the corner with quill and ink. There were led of stacks of paper there, too. He was the postman after all. He walked over to the desk and sat down, motioning that Andrew could sit on the bed if he wanted to, which he did.

"I had forgotten that I didn't have that many more letters to use," Victor said, starting to scribble down whatever he put on those other letters of his. "I use at least five every game, maybe more. I've been in quite a few games, so that means at least... fifty letters? Eh; these things can't write themselves."

Andrew looked at Victor's letter bag. It seemed like it was still slightly stuffed with letters. "Your bag still looks pretty full," Andrew said.

"Oh, yeah. I just don't wanna run out, y'know?" Victor smiled. "I also want to have a wide range of different letters to use, so a restock once in a while is useful."

Andrew looked around Victor's room a bit. His room was colorful for the most part. Not that much stuff hanging around, but it all seemed to fit together nicely. He noticed Wick asleep in the faded yellow dog bed, right next to a food and water bowl.

"How long have you had Wick?" Andrew asked.

Victor paused writing his letters and swiveled in his seat to face Andrew, holding the quill but not really paying attention to it that much. "I've had him for some time," he said. "When I was younger, I had gotten him away from a house that was on fire. Nobody claimed him to be theirs, so I got to keep him, and now he's my best man."

Andrew chuckled to himself. "Best man? Well, dogs are said to be man's best friend, so best man works, too."

He glanced at the stuff he was writing on the other letters of his. It seemed like a lot of words of encouragement like the Tranquility letter he had gotten. The Hope letter seemed to be one of the unique letters, since it had a little map drawn out on it.

"That seems like a lot of work," Andrew said, looking down at the letters.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, kinda." Victor sealed a letter and set it aside on one of the letter piles. "But, I love watching people's faces when they receive them. They look happy when they get one of the letters and they seem to do better at tasks once receiving them."

"Yeah, but it looks like it takes a while just to construct one letter, let alone fifty of them."

Victor shrugged. "To me, it's worth it. Seeing people receive a letter is the best part in it, personally." He went quiet for a moment, probably thinking about something.

"Have you ever received a letter?" Andrew asked.

Victor stopped writing and looked down at the desk. "Once," he said. "I got a letter inviting me to come to the manor. One I got it, I came here straight away."

Andrew tilted his head. "So you've only ever gotten one letter from somebody in your life?" Honestly, he wasn't really one to talk; being a grave keeper didn't really earn you many friends.

"Yep." Victor went back to writing his letters, and they held short conversations as he did so to pass the time.