18

*One month later*

*One month later*

"You look nice." May compliments her sister who walks into the kitchen in a nice dress shirt and skirt matched with her flowing locks and heels. "Thanks May, I wanted to look nice." Maddie says with a small smile while Zach and May nod as they eat their breakfast that their mother had left for the three of them. "Are you going to Bryce's hearing?" Zach asks and Maddie shakes her head as she grabs a cup and starts her coffee. "No, I'd rather not hear all of the lies that will come from his mouth. Plus Jessica doesn't want me there." Maddie says as she starts to stir in her sugar and creamer. "Well then are you just going to sit at the courthouse till Justin's hearing?" Zach asks as Maddie sits down at the table and picks up a piece of bacon. "No, Monty has to go down to the police station and he asked me to be there when he comes out, it gives me something to do and I will still make it back in time for Justin." She says and Zach shakes his head. "I don't know why you still give him the time of day."

"He's like family, Zach, it's hard just to give up. But we hardly even talk anymore, so this could be the last time we really see each other because if Justin gets to come back soon Monty's gonna hate me for being with him."

"Hey, are you good?" Maddie asks standing up looking at Monty as he walks out. He nods and brings his arms around Maddie, both of them tense, it'd been a month since they'd even talked. "Was this your dad?" Maddie asks looking at his arm covered in a cast and he nods. "You know it was." He says and Maddie shakes her head, upset that he had to go through it and upset he refused o let her be there for him.

"I'm really sorry. I'm telling you if you just let me help-" He shakes his head cutting her off. "No. Maddie. I told you to stay out of it." He says referring to the last time they talked which ended in a huge argument. "But, at least let me-" He shakes his head putting a hand on her cheek. "No, Maddie. You've done enough for me for this lifetime. Besides you should go be there for your boyfriend." He says his tone different than anything she'd ever heard from him, and though she wasn't sure if he really wanted her gone, she left.

Maddie sat on the bench watching Justin as he walks in with his boy covered with an orange jumpsuit and his face layered with bruises. She breathes in as he walks to the stand and keeps his eyes low with his back to her. "Your Honor." Lainie starts. "Bryce Walker was released on bail within hours of his arrest and Justin has been stranded in juvenile detention for almost a month."

"I'm aware of the timeline."

"The related case is complete as of today. Justin's plea is in, the paperwork is done."

"Understood, Counselor, but as a minor he has to be released into custody." Maddie bites at her fingernails, she was sure Amber had ran far away after she thought Justin left and most likely wouldn't be found, people like Amber was never found unless they wanted to be.

"We've been searching for Amber Foley for weeks, Your Honor. She's nowhere to be found."

"Keep looking. Until then, he's remanded." The Judge says and hit his gavel down. "Bailiff?" He walks and takes Justin away. "What? No. What just happened?" Maddie asks her eyes wide looking at Justin's back profile as he leaves not having said a word. "Hang on, Justin. We're working on it." Lainie says looking back at Justin with sad but hopeful eyes.