A toast to the lovely couples here tonight

Chapter fourteen: A toast to the lovely couples here tonight (Emma's POV)

Over the course of time, everyone walked around the place, conversing with different people. Even me. I talked to a few of Nick's and William's cousins. I talked to Finn's wife Allison a little bit too. She seems nice. And Elijah of course. He looked adorable in his little shirt and bow tie. I quite literally melted. 

Right now, we were heading over to the huge, long table for dinner. The families had one huge table and the others got round tables across the hall. I took a seat with Zoey to my right and at the moment, nobody to my left. She had Landon to her right and was having a conversation with him, occasionally asking me something. 

The seat beside me was pulled back before someone sat down. "Hey," he smirked. 

I rolled my eyes and stared at the candle that was lit in front of me. 

"Oh, I don't even get a hello? Ouch," he chuckled. Elijah was sitting in front of us and was concentrating hard on blowing out the candle. "Eli, don't do that. It's not a birthday candle," Nick chuckled and pulled the candle closer to us, further away from Elijah. 

"Oh, okay," he shrugged before going back to playing with his Spiderman figure, making it run along the table, over the plates, over the utensils. 

I smiled at his actions before turning to the front where Mr. Johnson and Nick's dad, Matt were clinking their glasses. A waiter went around passing drinks and offered one to Nick and me. 

He reached out but I put it back and pushed the tray back gently, "No, thank you. We're meant to stay sober," I gave him a pointed look. 

"At least you talked to me," he shrugged while Mr. Johnson began his speech. He and Matt had split their speeches, both of them taking turns to talk and it consisted of thanking all the guests, wishing luck to Madeline and Will before going back to this trip as a vacation. 

I guess all the love from the speech is saved for the wedding speeches. "Oh, one last thing!" Matt said, "I would like to give a toast to the lovely couples here tonight. All of them. William and Madeline, Finn and Allison..." he trailed off talking about the younger couples before his eyes met mine. "And finally, Nick and Emma."

Nick choked. Quiet literally choked. I would have too. Everyone looked at us. And after Nick calmed down, we both froze. 

"Now, now, I am aware they aren't a couple anymore," Matt waved his hand dismissively, "But they were beautiful and I hope to see them together again. Hopefully by the wedding, cheers!" 

Glasses clinked, people cheered and I still didn't move. 

"I didn't know he was gonna say that, Emma," he mumbled. 

Play it cool, Emma. 

"It's fine," I shrugged it off, "You're the one that choked," I snickered. 

He rolled his eyes at me while chuckling before everyone broke out into conversation and continued with eating. This is going to be a long-ass dinner. 

-----<3----- 

We were halfway through dinner and I was talking to Zoey about her date with Landon. They shifted it to tomorrow after tonight's dinner came into plans and she seemed a little bummed out about that. 

"Landon," I cleared my throat while setting my fork down. "Why don't you just take her out after dinner? I mean, unless you're taking her to a place that is likely to be closed, why don't you just take her now?" I asked in confusion. He looked at me skeptically so I placed my hands over Zoey's ears. "Where are you taking her?" I whispered.