Reflection

Chapter twenty-six: Reflection (Emma's POV)

After meeting up at the pool and swimming around for a while, we all decided to head back up to our rooms. We all went back up and hit the showers so we could wash off before dinner. I wrapped a towel around myself and stepped out, wiping my hand over the fogged up mirror that blocked my own reflection. 

I sighed, grabbing the edge of the sink, leaning forward while staring at myself. I began looking at myself with a scrutinizing gaze, assessing my nose, lips, skin, eyes, the faint freckles I had, the way my nose scrunched up at times. Rachel and I look nothing alike, not that we should, but is that why he chose to make me think of her with him? We're polar opposite people, in our personalities and our looks. 

Her nose doesn't have as many freckles as mine does, and neither does it scrunch up. Her lips are bigger than mine, fuller, and plumper. Her skin is flawless, with no blemishes whatsoever. She's tall, long legs, soft, smooth, and shiny blonde hair. And mine? Plain old brown, a little wavy and down to my butt. I'm all right. Average. But Rachel? 

I snapped out of my thoughts when I realized someone was knocking on my door. I looked at myself in the mirror, blinking when I saw the tears flowing down my cheeks. I wiped them away before taking a deep breath and pulling on the robe, opening my bathroom door, and getting the bedroom door. 

"Hey," Nick grinned. 

"Hey," I stepped aside and let him in. "Just give me a minute to change and I'll come right out." I plastered a smile onto my face because I don't want him to know what just happened. He doesn't need to know that I'm so insecure about myself. 

"Hey," he grabbed my arm and pulled me back when I turned to go back into the bathroom. I turned to face him, pulling my lips into a thin line. "Your clothes are out here," he pointed to the bed. 

"Oh," I laughed while going and grabbing them, "I forgot I kept them out here," I rolled my eyes. 

"Emma," he pulled me back again, "Is everything okay?" he narrowed his eyes at me slightly while scanning my face. 

"Yeah, why wouldn't it be?" I asked, feigning confusion. 

"All right, can you look at me?" he asked while tilting my chin, making me look at him. 

"I'm just tired, that's all," I shrugged. 

"Last time you were tired you could still look at me. What's going on?" he questioned. 

"Nothing," I shook my head. 

"Okay, I'll let you change," he let go of me. 

I went into the bathroom and locked it while I got dressed before splashing cold water on my face and then stepping back out. He was sitting on my bed, staring off into space. "Hey," I sighed while sitting beside him. 

"You were crying, weren't you?" he asked while staring at the blank TV screen. When I didn't answer he turned to me. "Why?" he questioned, arching an eyebrow at me. He wasn't gonna let this go. 

"I looked in a mirror," I mumbled with a small shrug. 

"Those didn't seem like tears of joy to me," he gave me a pointed look. 

"They weren't," I chuckled dryly, "I just didn't like what I saw, it's no big deal," I shrugged it off. 

"And what did you see?" he asked while sitting in front of, cross-legged. 

"My plain brown hair, brown eyes, freckles, my nose which scrunches up when I laugh, my lips which are fairly chapped, my skin which doesn't glow under the sun, my body that doesn't have curves or anything flattering for that matter..." I trailed off, "My eyes aren't blue, my hair isn't shiny, my lips aren't plump or full, my skin is frankly suffering and a little burnt," I shrugged like it was no big deal.