I don't want it

Chapter thirty-five: I don't want it (Emma's POV)

"Oh, I am tired," Zoey sighed as we walked back into the hotel. We went out shopping today, her and I, and then we met the guys at lunch and then hung out altogether just walking around the city and now, after dinner, we're back at the hotel.

"Goodnight," I waved her off while heading to my room with Nick. "They really seemed to be preparing hard for this rehearsal dinner," I said while unlocking my door.

"Yeah, they really want everything to go just right, Madeline and William both want this wedding to be perfect as they should. They are getting married after all," he shrugged while following me in.

"Do you want to go change and then you can come back?" I asked while grabbing my pajamas.

"Okay," he nodded but he didn't move, he stood still in front of me.

"Nick," I chuckled.

"I love you," he leaned in and kissed me.

"You've been saying that all day today," I laughed while pulling away.

"I know," he mumbled against my lips before kissing them again. He took my clothes out of my hand and tossed them on the bed. "Can you just let me kiss for a minute without laughing or pushing me off?" he pulled away and looked at me. I nodded while resting my arms around his neck. He rested his hands on my hips and pulled me in closer, deepening the kiss. I grabbed the back of his neck, pulling him closer if that was even possible before we both broke away after a while once we ran out of air.

"Good?" I asked.

"Yeah," he smirked before pecking my lips and then going to his room to change. I went and changed myself and brushed my teeth before coming out just as he knocked on the door. I opened it and he came in, kissing me almost instantly. "Whoa," I laughed against his lips while he rested his hands on my butt and kept walking forward till I hit the wall. "You are acting very lovey-dovey today," I chuckled while pushing him away slightly.

"As I should," he said as a matter of fact.

"Right," I nodded while running my hands through his hair.

He cleared his throat, "Emma, I have to ask you something. Something that I wanted to ask before I told you I loved you but I just blurted that out last night," he sighed.

My stomach dropped already knowing where this was going. "Okay," I said hesitantly, my palms already getting clammy.

Please, don't ask me to be your girlfriend, Nick.

"Em, will you be my girlfriend?" he asked.

Fuck.

I stayed quiet for a really, really long time.

"Emma?" he asked.

"No," I whispered while shaking my head softly.

"No?" he asked in confusion.

"Nick, I love you. And you love me. I just don't see why we have to do this. I don't get why we have to put this- this title on it," I tried explaining.

"Because I love you. And I want to be able to call you mine and I want you to be able to call me yours. Properly, rightfully. Don't you?" he asked, sounding hurt. Rightfully hurt.

I'm about to ruin everything. "Of course I do, I just don't see why we need a title for that," I mumbled.

"To date," he looked at me, beginning to get upset.

"We have to do that," I whispered.

"Are you serious? If I'm not your boyfriend then what am I? What is this? What is going on between us?" he scoffed.