It's not like the movies

Chapter thirty-three: It's not like the movies (Nick's POV)

"I waited for you, you idiot!" she screamed. 

"I couldn't just let you go, you would have broken your foot!" I yelled back. 

"I think I did just fine!" she smacked my arm repeatedly. 

"Quit hitting me!" I groaned before grabbing her wrists. 

"Nick, are you insane? Do you have any idea how much trouble that would have gotten you in?" she shoved me away. 

"I would've made it, Emma. You just stood there waiting for me after I tossed you the keys!" I huffed. 

"I couldn't just leave you there, what if they caught you, Nick?!" she exclaimed. 

"I would have handled it!" I turned to face her completely. 

"Yeah, by going to jail," she pushed me again. 

"What is wrong with you?" I held her hands down. 

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? Am I the only one here who understands how bad this could have been if he got caught?" she scoffed. 

Landon cleared his throat, "Well, he didn't," he shrugged lightly. 

"Because the slide collapsed. If it didn't and they didn't get distracted then they would be dead," Zoey huffed. 

"Yeah, but I think Nick would have made it," Landon said. 

"They didn't get distracted because Emma was there," Zo rolled her eyes. 

"I'm not saying that," Landon mumbled, "I think we panicked. We should have just stayed calm and stuck together, that's all I'm saying," he glanced at us before turning back to the road. 

"That's what I was doing," Emma huffed, glaring at me, "Sticking together, but someone was stupid enough to tell us to just leave him there," she rolled her eyes.

"That's because I knew that if I was by myself, I could outrun them. With you guys there I would be worried about you too," I explained. 

"I think we can handle ourselves," she mumbled. 

"Yeah, right," I scoffed. 

"If you didn't think I could handle myself here and would be some sort of liability, then maybe you shouldn't have brought me!" she snapped. 

"Maybe!" I snapped back. 

Landon stopped the car on the side and turned to us. 

"Are you crazy?" Zo scoffed at me, "She was more prepared for this than any of us were," she looked at me. 

"Yeah, but Nick knew everything about it, we were all listening to him," Landon added. 

"Yeah clearly, since he knew everything and still didn't bring anything. No water, no food, no flashlight, nothing," Zoey rolled her eyes. 

"Okay, maybe we shouldn't fight for them," Landon grabbed her hand. She agreed with him and they both stepped out of the car, leaving us to it. 

Emma folded her arms across her chest and huffed as she stared out the window. 

"I'm not apologizing," I huffed, standing my ground. 

"I'm not either," she smiled at me sarcastically. 

"You shouldn't have waited, and you know it," I scoffed. 

"You shouldn't have told us to leave, and you know it. Sticking together was the best thing we could do. If you let me go earlier then we'd have made it," she rolled her eyes again.