30

Charlotte had had a restless sleep after the events of the night before

It took her hours to fall asleep and even then it was fitful, tossing and turning unable to stop running each moment over in her mind. She felt Klaus' hand gripping her leg, his thumb running across it softly, she felt his arms wrapped around her. Then she had the images running through her mind too, the image of him getting stabbed, falling to the ground, screaming in pain.

It was a restless sleep and she still hadn't made any real decisions on where her loyalties lay, finally tugging herself from bed a little after nine as she gave up on clearing her head. Charlotte was halfway out of the shower when she heard her phone ringing, wrapping a towel around herself she answered it without looking at the screen.

"Hello, darling," the voice cooed down the line, "thought I'd set your worrying heart at rest and let you know I'm alive."

"Klaus," Charlotte sighed half in relief, half in annoyance, moving to the closet to gather clothes for the day.

"Nik," he corrected smugly causing her to roll her eyes, they were here again it seemed.

Tugging her underwear on, Charlotte replied, "Was there a reason for your call, Klaus, or can I hang up now."

"Please darling I saw how you watched in terror last night," Klaus teased her, "we both know you'd rather call me Nik than Klaus."

"Forgive me for worrying for a moment over someone I used to care about," Charlotte snapped back, holding the phone from her head as she pulled her shirt on, "A moment of weakness, it won't happen again."

"I'd like it to."

Charlotte pulled her pants on now, "I'm hanging up now Klaus, this isn't going anywhere."

"No, wait," she heard him say and the phone returned to her ear, "go to the front door."

"I'm not letting you in again," Charlotte replied as she came down the stairs.

Klaus laughed at her callous responses, "Not to worry sweetheart, my bed was always the choice over yours, I remember."

Charlotte tugged the door open and saw a box on the porch, "You got me a gift?"

Pulling the box open, she saw a dress and an envelope with her name on it. When the envelope was opened, Charlotte was surprised with the words it contained, an invitation.

Please join the Mikaelson Family

this evening at seven o'clock

for dancing  cocktails, and celebration.

It took a moment for Charlotte to process the invitation in front of her, the Mikaelson family, meaning not only had Klaus not daggered his siblings after the night had ended, but they were unified again. Charlotte had presumed that all of Klaus' siblings had somehow been redaggered again if it meant that he was talking to her and alive.