38

Charlotte had planned on rising early and she did, just not quite as early as she would've hoped. It was pathetic, but already after only a few days sleeping with Klaus again, it was tricky for her to get comfortable and drift off as she lay alone.

Finally she pulled herself awake and up from her bed, gathering a few of her preferred shirts and trousers, Charlotte made a small pile of clothes and books she intended to pack and bring on her journey with Klaus. Although there was a small tinge of sadness at the fact she was leaving her brothers, mostly she felt excited, excited to be doing something and excited to see the world. She didn't have a real bag to pack everything in so instead she piled it up on her bed with the intention of borrowing one from her brothers when they woke.

She still didn't have her phone of course, so she scribbled a note explaining where she was going, pulling her shoes on as she began the walk to the school. Fortunately the Salvatore residence wasn't far but even so, Charlotte enjoyed the walk, enjoyed watching the world go by, her heart in a contented place knowing an adventure was coming.

When she finally arrived at the school she was surprised to find it wasn't empty, she could hear Rebekah through the hallways whining as she helped to clean up the remnants of the dance. Charlotte knew she should go and say hello but first, she wanted to find her phone, she was fairly certain that Klaus would've messaged or called and she'd rather reply now than have him worry unnecessarily.

It took her a longer time than she expected to locate her phone and once she pulled it out from between the cushions of the couch she had just enough time to see the plethora of missed calls and texts before she heard a scream coming from the hallway. She was half torn on what to do when there was silence again, peeking her head out of the room she saw an empty corridor, no screams, no people. A little anxiously, Charlotte left the room, the scream had frightened her but it was silent and empty now and she put the sound to the idea students had been playing a prank on each other, pulling her phone out to text Klaus, she walked from the room, eager to leave the school and get home.

To nik

i left my phone at the school last night, i'm heading home now. i'll see you later.

Charlotte's thumb had barely hit send on her message when a reply was returned. In truth Klaus had been worried, he'd been worried she'd gotten cold feet in the hours since they last spoke and he worried that she'd been avoiding his messages and calls because she was worried about how to tell him she wanted to back out.

From nik

i'll come get you

To nik

i'm fine-

Charlotte was texting as she walked, the reply to his message half typed out when suddenly a gush of wind rushed towards her. Before she could look up she felt great pain as someone grabbed her hair and slammed her head against the lockers beside her, knocking her out cold.