The Forest chapter 1

Authors note

Hi welcome to this book. This story is fictional so although I have used real places to base my story some places are not exactly as described in real life and all the characters are made up. Extra information will be added to the end of the chapters when necessary or when completely unnecessary! I have sourced a lot of info from the internet, 90% from Wikipedia. So a special thanks to that amazing resource. Enjoy the story.

I have tried to keep the medical and police info accurate. I appreciate comments about mistakes too, thanks for reading. Please ignore English vs. American spellings, even I'm confused.

__________________________________

ALICE'S DREAM

It's dark and I'm being chased. They are bigger than me, but I'm so tired. The huge jagged shapes of trees sway around me as I dash through them. The sun will go down soon and my dad will worry. I slow down to catch my breath. Suddenly I hear laughter, I look over my shoulder. Three boys are waving sticks, one shouts. I pause, my feet hurt and I'm finding it difficult to breathe. I must run.

ALICE

I woke up again coated in sweat. It's like this every morning now. I remember the forest filled with old and massive trees, draped in moss and lichen. My heart raced from fear.

I rent a small room, sharing a flat with two other girls. I don't talk to them though. We just leave post-it notes about cleaning or shopping. The room is not very big but though it's rented, I feel that it is mine. The flat is on the third floor of a large purpose built complex. It's a decent enough place to live in, though it is a pretty ugly building.

I recently moved here since this job paid well enough. I've been temping for a few years, but this job is permanent. Living in London is expensive but sharing cuts the cost a bit. It's good that I've moved out of my mum's place, I finally feel like an adult.

That's why I can't give up but I'm scared I'll lose my job. It's not looking good but at least I'm not alone. It's funny that the people you'd least expect could be on your side. Thinking about two weeks ago is giving me a headache.

I remember walking into work after taking the day off two weeks ago, my shoulders hunched as I tried to make myself inconspicuous.

*****

I was late, trying to sneak in without being noticed. The tall grey building blocking out any thoughts of escape. At the entrance a red light blinked on the black box, which recorded everyones comings and goings. My body has been used to this route long enough for me to automatically tap in before I could stop myself.

Technically they have an open door system. You have an ID card and you tap in and out when you want. You just have to make up your contracted hours within the month. Unfortunately this really doesn't mean you have freedom. You still need to work nine to five, four times every week not including holidays. It is supposed to be a part time job, it's not. Everyone comes in from Monday to Friday.

The company I work for designs and makes car accessories. It's a typical office job, I work as an admin assistant. Not much of a job, it pays just over minimum wage. A bit boring but way better than other jobs I've had.

I've missed so many days I'm not even going to make half the contract this month. Though it's meant to be calculated over the year, our supervisor Brian checks it monthly. I think he will get a bonus if our group of five behaves. We all started 6 months ago and I suppose I'm still on probation, although I should be on a permanent contract now, I behaved well for the first three months. The nightmares were just occasional then, the odd bad night was bearable.