The Forest chapter 42

ALICE

I went to the doctors with mum yesterday and it still hasn't sunk in. I'm pregnant! I heard the heartbeat of something as tiny as a pea. They told me I was actually eight weeks pregnant already. I didn't really remember when my last period actually was, that look at the calendar just confused me. I'm not going to tell anyone yet, Aiden has to be the first.

I've still got to work on Monday, how will I keep it from Tracy? Plus Brian is back in the office. I was begging for my job just the other day but now I would have to tell them goodbye at some point. Should I be a working mum or stay at home? I'm not sure but for now I need to keep it a secret.

I couldn't call Aiden, I want to tell him in person. In the end I had to get mum to call him. I hope he doesn't get upset with me. I hover around mum as she tries to explain why I'm not talking with him without giving anything away. In the end she lies saying my throat hurts due to crying too much. When she hung up she just gives me a look, trying not to laugh.

"Hun what am I going to tell him tomorrow? You should just say it on the phone! Look at the state of you." She gives me a hug, "I'll make dinner, go and rest."

Mum's right, I don't know what I'm doing.

I didn't realise how tired I was, I feel like I've gone back to the time I had nightmares or whatever they were. Aiden had told me that the sleepiness then was caused by my energy being drained by the spirit of my family. Apparently that was the only way for it to power the visions. Mum struggles to wake me for dinner. It's funny how last week I had too much energy but now I can barely stay awake.

The days pass slowly, I hate that I have to go to work but I'm not losing my spot. I haven't spoken to Aiden yet but it was getting harder to find excuses. I'll have to talk to him tonight after work, we are meeting up tomorrow.

Unlike Aiden I won't be getting a lift. Actually my GUS had offered but I didn't want to wait until the evening. It's so hard to keep a secret, at least mum is supporting me. I know she can't really disapprove as she had me when she was much younger.

I'm physically ready to go to work today but mentally I'm too distracted. I hope I don't give anything away. I walk into the office cautiously. I don't want to get caught by Tracy, she will get me to talk, whether I want to or not. The coast is clear but ten minutes after sitting down I have to rush to the toilets. I spoke too soon about the morning sickness, I feel so gross now. I have to wash my face so I spend more time than usual leaving the toilets.

I'm just about to leave when Tracy comes in, I turn my back to her so she doesn't see my face. Surprisingly this actually works and she walks right past me. That's not like Tracy, she must be desperate. Back in my seat I get to work, it's almost relaxing. My mind clicks into full work mode and I forget all my worries, at least until lunch time.

I meet Tracy at the salad bar, we both change our minds at the same time. Something doesn't smell right, Tracy grins at me.

"Let's get a sandwich instead!"

It's probably the morning sickness right? Well I have that excuse but Tracy had the same reaction. I got a cheese and pickle sandwich, Tracy gets tuna and cucumber. That's weird, Tracy hates tinned tuna doesn't she? She's being strange, is that why she walked past me earlier? I point to her sandwich and she makes a disgusted face.

"What am I thinking?"

She laughs and shakes her head, picking up chicken salad instead.

It's started to rain when we leave so we end up going to the staff kitchen at work instead of the park. It's not always sunny. The staff kitchen is a bit tight but it will do. There's actually quite a lot of us squeezed in. We're not the only ones with sandwiches, it can't be because of the morning sickness then. I'll let Tracy off. For once someone else begins the gossip. Tracy is really off her game! It's actually a relief for me, she hasn't noticed anything.