The Forest chapter 45

AIDEN

All I can see is Alice. She's sprawled lifeless on a thin patch of leaves. I hope he didn't hurt her too badly. My rage grows until the air around me begins to crack with sparks. This small woodland is filled with relatively young trees, this is not a big problem. I am linked in to a much bigger consciousness and though they are physically far away, the trees lend me their support.

The knife is the last straw. I appear to lean against a random tree as if exhausted. He won't realise this tree is the strongest oak here. I will stall him so he is unaware. Under the leaves I quickly bring roots to the surface.

"Don't hurt her please!" I speak in a pleading tone so he doesn't suspect.

He grins like a fox with a mouth full of feathers. The knife edges closer till he nicks her skin. A single drop of blood spills onto a small root just starting to appear. I sense he won't kill her yet, I coil the roots below the surface. Soon he will regret touching her. The sparks start to travel along the ground as he begins speaking.

He starts on a typical bad guy monologue as Alice called it. We watched a movie together last week. It was about a bad man who'd ended up failing after his speech. But Alice had explained that things didn't happen like that in real life. Sometimes the bad ones win, but not this time.

He speaks in a sarcastic tone, making it difficult to hold back.

"Mary will love this! It'll be your fault. I recognize you from that day, you've filled out a bit. When I saw you go into that B&B the fun was just beginning. That group of tourists were clueless when I showed them around. You should take better care of your stuff. I overheard your conversation about Alice. It's funny how you led Mary's daughter to this! That necklace was a dead giveaway. I'd recognise that piece of junk anywhere."

Just one more minute. He takes a step towards me when he believes I'm frozen in shock or fear. It's what I've been waiting for. The knife isn't against Alice's throat anymore, another step.

The roots rapidly shoot up and wrap Alice gently, dragging her away. From another direction they trap the man's legs. I haven't had time to alter his mind, saving Alice was more important. He tries to turn but falls, seeing Alice being dragged away in front of him. The fall tears the thin roots on his legs enough for him to break free.

He turns to me in anger, I have ruined his game. He is remarkably intelligent to figure that out, it's a shame he's using his mind this way. My anger dies down for a moment as I realise again that he is not evil, he's just sick.

Still I should punish him. He begins to run towards me. I gather the roots again, for a moment I'm distracted by Alice stirring in her net. I relax the roots around Alice.

He reaches me as roots wrap around him. They lift him into the air as he vainly struggles. I begin squeezing until he screams in pain. I don't like the feeling I'm getting right now, like I'm enjoying this.

No, I won't become like him. I take a deep breath and relax the roots slightly. He struggles again trying to break free. The roots grow stronger to hold him still. He mustn't hurt Alice again but I shouldn't kill him or cause harm to him.

Now that Alice is safe I'm unsure what to do. Looking up at him, he grins.

"You freak let me go, I'm not done yet! *****, *******!"

I don't recognise the words he said but the meaning is pretty clear.

I calm my breath, I should heal him. Delving into his mind and sending roots painfully into his skin, just a touch of revenge on his way to better health. I test his blood and search his mind.