The Forest chapter 6

ALICE

Getting up, I push myself to finish packing. After visiting my mum I have planned the trip to find my past life. Well you never know. Once I find out the truth I might be able to accept Brian and be a cliché. I could definitely have a good life with him.

That's if he is serious and it's not fake. I mean I can't really believe it. He's a sweet guy but he's out of my league.

"Bye girls" I say.

It's only been a couple of weeks but I have two new friends. We hug as I promise I'll be back by Wednesday. I've vaguely told them about the dreams. I don't know them well enough to go into the details. The truth is I don't want them to think I'm crazy.

I walk to the bus stop. Everything I need is packed into my backpack. I have my small shoulder bag too. It's just a few days and I don't need to dress up. There's only a few things that I'll never leave behind, that's hair products. A quarter of my bag is filled with that stuff.

It's not far to my mum's house. Stepping off the bus after a few stops, I quickly walk to her house.

Mum opens the door and I'm brought into a hug.

"Let's have a cup of tea, tell me everything hun." Mum says, letting me in.

Sitting in the garden with our drinks, all my worries seem far away.

Chatting together on such a lovely Saturday morning, it feels like nothing has changed. I've not had a chance to tell her properly about the dreams before today.

"Alice, this reminds me of when I was pregnant with you. I used to get dreams of a forest too. But mine were about a mother with a young baby."

"The mother told stories to her child as she went about her tasks in a small cottage with a garden. They were about magic and the forest. They stopped when you were born."

"Was the boy called Aiden?" I look at my mum intently.

"How did you know? Wow my daughter. Are you sure I didn't tell you this before?" I try to get more from my mum but it's been a while and she can't really remember.

"One more thing though, I remember the last dream the day before you were born. A grown up you and a scruffy boy in your reflection. That's why I called you *¹Alice, after the book character. Otherwise you would have been Janice! Have a good trip luv."

I had to go and catch the coach, I couldn't stay long. After a long hug and a kiss on the cheek from mum I wave and turn towards the bus stop.

The information I'd got from my dreams had given me clues. I would travel to the south of the country towards Exmoor in Devon, I was not sure exactly where it was but I'd researched and I had to start somewhere. I had booked a bed and breakfast for 4 days in Ilfracombe, planning to cab around, I really hope I find it.

After a bus ride to the train station then a train ride to Victoria, I rush to the coach station. That was close, I nearly missed it. Soon I was on my way to Devon. At least I would finally get a holiday.

After watching London slowly disappear, it's the first time I've ever felt free. I begin to relax and enjoy the view through the window. I'd been in the coach for an hour when I fell asleep.

____________________________________

ALICE'S DREAM

I feel strange, like I'm floating. I can't move but I can see everything. There are mumbling voices. They almost sound like the rustling of leaves rubbing together in the wind. I try to focus on the words. I breathe calmly and relax starting to make them out.