The Forest chapter 29

DAVID ( OR DAVY AS HE PREFERS)

I was playing with my toys but mum said we are going to see my brother. I don't want to see him but Emma said it's important. She sat down with me and explained that our brother was in hospital. He couldn't get me. They always locked the doors.

The police didn't give my bag back yet but mum bought some clothes for me. I spoke to the police man on the phone and told them to look after the very important things in my bag. They didn't know which things but I told them. I kept them safe to save Sam. Every time I remembered Sam I checked them. If there was a hole I wrapped them in clingfilm to keep them safe.

The police man was very nice. My mum always wraps the food in cling film so it stays good. I can save Sam if I keep it safe. Sam told me to give it to Mary, don't throw it away. I told the police man that Sam told me to give it to Mary. I told him to save Sam. I thought he died but Emma came back. The policeman asked if they could look at my important things. They could find Mary like they found Emma. I said ok so now I didn't get my bag back.

We are in the nice blue car. We are going to drive for a long time. Emma said it was far but she is next to me so it's ok. Emma shows me lots of things outside the window. I get tired and fall asleep in the nice blue car. We are already there when I wake up. It wasn't far at all so I'm happy. Mum said don't run in the road so I don't. The nice restaurant lady told me that too.

I'm grown up so I don't need mum to tell me that now. I can look both ways when I cross the road. I don't need to hold hands because I'm grown up now. I don't want to run away anymore so I have to hold Emma's hand. The hospital smells funny. Emma says it has to be especially clean so people can get better. I don't like the smell. We go in a lift. I don't like lifts, except the ones with windows. They are fun because you can see outside. We got out that lift, I'm happy because it didn't have windows.

There are lots of people in the hospital. I like the nice lady who gives me a colouring book at the waiting room. I said I'm grown up but she said it's a grown up colouring book so it's ok. I like it because she said I can keep it even when we leave. I'm happy but then my sister takes me to a room with a big window. I see my brother through the window. My brother is bad, I don't want him to see me so I hide under the table.

Emma says he can't see me or hear me but I don't believe her so she makes funny faces and meows like a cat but brother doesn't notice. I do it too, it's fun. Mum is in the room with my brother but I can't hear her. Emma says that if I press the button I can hear her. Emma lets me press it. I laugh because I can hear mum but she can't hear me! I'm happy.

I want to hear what she says to my brother so I tell Emma to sshh!

Mum says. "Ian don't swear at me, they won't let you out until you're better!"

Brother says. "You -bad word- I'm not sick, I have stuff to do!"

Mum says. "You were walking in circles, foaming at the mouth! I saw the CCTV footage!"

Brother says. "I don't believe you, Emma said something, didn't she, the -bad word-! I can't get her jewellery back if I'm stuck in here!"

Mum says. "Where did you sell it, I'll get it myself. I don't want to let you in the house, you always take things!"

I'm happy I don't want my brother to come in the house.

Brother says. "You -bad word-! I can come in if I want, I'm your son. I can take what I want, you can't stop me!"

Mum says. "Ian, I told you not to swear at me! You're not well, please calm down. David is back and he's very scared of you. Did you do something to scare him!"