The Forest chapter 38

AIDEN

I did too much yesterday, I must be more careful. If Alice hadn't pulled me away I don't know what could have happened. Because of that, I had missed the events of the day. I hadn't spent time with Alice. There must be a way to get more energy so I don't fall asleep every time. I even feel like I'm losing weight.

At least I'd managed to link up a massive network, now it was strong enough to produce medicines. I could also do in depth analysis of individual people far away. As long as there were enough older trees in that area I was just as strong over most of the group consciousness.

I stretch and crack my joints, Alice hates that but she's still asleep. Maybe I should get up and eat early. I got ready quietly and spotted the food Alice had got me for breakfast. The bread and cheese that I like and a large carton of milk. I eat it all, finishing with an apple. I go straight into the garden, this time I'm going to look at myself. I didn't have to stick my hands in the earth as I had left two roots exposed.

I got comfortable and greeted the consciousness. It was so large that it was difficult to single out particular trees. I still made time for them, helping with cracks that could be fatal.

A few trees had the same problem so I delved deeper and discovered a gardener who had been killing the trees. Not on purpose but with ignorance, I seek him out. He's working early like me, listening to music as he cuts the grass. His mind is open and innocent, my anger disappears.

He is too young, just doing his job but his strimmer is a tool of death. I add a barrier only he can feel so he cannot get too close to the tree roots. If he is fully aware he can easily pass through. I plant an idea of guilt in his mind, hopefully this should protect the rest. He had killed eleven trees and three more were dying. I help the three but can only save one.

I had promised myself not to do too much so I withdrew from the majority of the network and focused on myself. Looking deeply into my body I see the problem. I tweak here and there and cleanse my body of toxins.

I must eat more protein as I had become a vegetarian, this made me get tired easily. I just couldn't bring myself to eat the meat here. Chicken reminded me of father, pork of the forest. Beef of the deer that protected me. It was just easier to not eat it. I had to eat more eggs and cheese.

I had a quick look at Alice sleeping peacefully. She seems very healthy, almost glowing. I have a general look around the house before I get ready to pull away from the network. A small bright spark catches my attention. It's a small object in her mother's room. I can't really tell what it is. Looking closer it just appears brighter, like trying to look into a flame. I'll have to look with my human eyes.

Time to pull away, I say goodbye to the network paying more attention to older trees and fully withdraw. But this time I can still sense the roots just below the surface.

I stretch and walk back to the house, untroubled by any weakness. I just have to eat and drink some more so the tiredness doesn't catch me out. The only problem is I've eaten everything already. I know, I will go shopping for mother and Alice!

I pick up the shopping list on the table in mother's handwriting, I can read it all! I grab the shopping trolley and take the cash out of the jar in the kitchen. My weekly bus pass is in Alice's purse. I quietly take it, being careful not to wake her. I set out for the first time on my own, in Alice's world.

It's surprisingly easy, I have no issues with the people or transport. I've learnt a lot in the last few days. I get to the shop, find everything on the list and even remember some things not on the list that we need in the house. Picking up breakfast for everyone on the way back I finally feel like the man of the house, the provider.