The Forest chapter 23

MARY

While we sit and chat in the park I can't help but wonder about the necklace that caused me to lose Sam. If it wasn't for that, Sam wouldn't have left. It really was the only thing of value I had owned. It was the only thing my mother left me. It was a simple gold chain, not worth much. The locket was made of copper and bronze and was green and shiny with age. It was made quite cleverly to use the colour. A few oak leaves and an acorn. It was only valuable to me, it couldn't be sold for much.

Sam had been so angry, it was irreplaceable. I begged him to leave it but he wouldn't listen. He knew that was all I had, but I'd trade it for Sam any day. Well I'm not going to dwell on the past anymore. Soon I will see my lovely daughter again and I'm going to make sure I keep her safe this time. This small group of people already feels like family, we'll stick together.

Matt had made a proper picnic for us. He had those cool picnic baskets you see in movies. The ones no one can actually afford in real life, except maybe for Brian's family. The spread he laid out was truly impressive. He had chicken salad sandwiches. Potato salad, coleslaw, spicy chicken wings, green salad. Rice and tomato salad, tuna mayo pasta and so many snacks. Also he had made a couple of cakes. One for now and one for when we pick up Alice. There was fruit salad too, when we finished eating there's not much left. We are all so stuffed, the food is too good.

Matt had originally been a chef and it showed in his cooking. We chat easily with full stomachs sitting on the three picnic blankets Matt had brought. Matt had been so happy last night with our surprise visit, we almost forgot about the reason! If he was happy then, he was ecstatic after. Matt had been the one who had reported her missing and kept looking for her. Despite others trying to stop him he had never given up.

I'd already called the hospital to confirm that I would pick them both up, I'd got a bit more info this time. Alice was fine, she just needed feeding up. We were all going to stay another night at Matt's place, he wanted to spend time with her too. The other room was now empty so we would figure out our sleeping arrangements when we got back. I feel a bit sorry for the boy we were picking up. He had been on his own in the forest for so long. I suppose he's a man but I can't help thinking of him that way.

I glance at Brian, I feel a bit sorry for him too. The nurse had told me Alice was very close with that boy. Well I'll still consider Brian my family. I hope the shock doesn't hit him too hard. We pack up and stretch our legs. Matt picked this park as it has decent public toilets. We wait in the carpark as Brian's father is taking a while. He goes back for him in the end. He's not that old but his back could be playing up after sitting on the ground for so long.

We finally pile into the car, it's so exciting. I feel like I've won the lottery, so happy and shocked at the same time. When we get to the ward, only two of us can go in, so I go of course as I'm Alice's mum. Brian gets to be the second person. But it's all fine as they are getting discharged anyway. Before going through the door Brian and I beam at each other, we're both so happy.

I ask the nurse where to go and knock on the room. I look round and see my Alice. I seem to teleport to her as I'm instantly hugging her, I'm crying too. Alice is the first to speak.

"Mum, it's ok I'm fine!"

She wipes my tears and smiles. I step back and look at her. She's changed a lot. Not just in appearance, she's lost a bit of weight. Alice is totally relaxed and confident. She was getting there before she went missing, Alice used to be so shy and nervous. But when she started working with Brian she had started to open up.

"Mum I'm really fine, ok let me introduce you to Aiden."

She looked towards a man sitting in the wheelchair. His long hair and beard are brushed to a shine. His hair is so dark it's almost blue. Through the hair he's got quite a pale but handsome face. Well Alice was always trying to look after something, she was too caring. In the past there had been a kitten, now she had adopted a full grown man.