The Forest chapter 17

BRIAN

I've been back at work for a few days. Though I'd worked at my dad's company for nearly eight years, it's not the same without Alice. I've become serious and quiet, only speaking to instruct the employees. I had become dependent on her in such a short time. A couple of new hires had taken her place. We couldn't keep the job open for her any longer, I hadn't been here to protect it either.

The police talked to my father about something yesterday and he kept it from me. But they'd called me this morning anyway. We both had an appointment along with my uncle this afternoon, at the police station. It seemed something big had happened. I hope it was news about Alice! But the way they were telling us was weird. I hope it's not bad news.

I'm going to be just too distracted the rest of the day. I get a comforting look from Tracy as I start to feel hopeless. She knocks on the door of my office, and walks in.

"Are you okay Brian?"

Tracy is the star of the advertising department, and also the person who brings the office together.

Since she was promoted she'd been an even greater help. She's very good at reading the mood, so perfect in advertising. She's also a people person, so I'm glad she'd interrupted my thoughts.

"Your face says it all, look, even supervisors need breaks. Come out and walk around for a bit, you won't get anything done this way."

Tracy has been a good friend since I've been back.

"You're right ok, too much stuff is going on and I can't concentrate."

I get up and stretch, a walk is a good idea. Tracy leaves me to it, though I end up walking to my uncle's office.

He laughs when I come in. "I was about to come and talk to you, can't concentrate either?"

We chat for a bit, and decide to send everyone home early. We had an hour before our appointment so we were not in the right mind set. When we sent everyone off, we went to meet dad, might as well go together. It feels strange going all together, like we were on some kind of road trip.

We get to the police station twenty minutes early. We sit uncomfortably in the waiting room, feeling a bit like criminals. When we are called into a room, a detective sits down with us.

"Some new evidence has come in about your deceased family member. I would like to take your *¹DNA to support the evidence if you could. His DNA was never taken and we only have his fingerprints on record, as well as his picture." The detectve explains.

We are all a bit shocked after all we thought it was about Alice, but it's something that happened twenty four years ago. We all take a cotton bud and swipe it around our inner cheeks. All three of us were in a daze.

"We will contact you when we have the results, it may help in closing this case."

My dad is puzzled.

"Isn't it a bit too late now? I mean it's been twenty four years since his murder."

My dad says what we are all thinking.

"There is no statue of limitations for murder, also I may have some good news for you tomorrow. In fact we definitely will so keep your phone's close." The detective writes today's date on the samples. 22/ 05/ 2002.

As we leave my dad is shaking. My uncle and I comfort him as we get in the car. I hadn't known my brother well so he was a vague memory for me but dad and uncle Sydney must be hit hard. I decide to drive as they sit in the back together. I go straight to my dad's place, we'll all stay there tonight. I call dad's secretary when we get in telling him we won't be in tomorrow due to a family emergency. The vice chairman and supervisors will take care of both offices tomorrow.