The Forest Chapter 34

ALICE

I don't know why I'm being so emotional. One minute I'm happy, the next crying my eyes out. It's Tuesday morning and we're all getting ready to go to the police station. Mum hasn't said much. Apparently it's a surprise. Earlier she'd told me it's good and bad mixed together. I suppose I'd figure it out when we got there.

Mum and her surprises! I sigh and finish brushing my teeth. Aiden was given a whole lot of clothes by Mr R. He'd given me more when I'd gone to work on Monday. We got to have a decent chat. Mr R was actually really happy that Brian had written the contract the way he had. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to work at all. But as so many temps had started, I couldn't do more until their contracts were over.

It was good that I got to spend more time with Aiden, I don't know why I kept crying. I had loads saved up as I hadn't had a chance to spend any of my wages. They were paid in arrears so I had almost three months of pay. Plus I hadn't had to pay rent or anything. Aiden is brushing his teeth next to me. It feels really nice that he's so close so I lean on him as I rinse my mouth out. He brushes my hair and I brush his.

Our matching ribbons in our hair and we're ready! We go downstairs and wait for mum. She's running about ,getting her stuff ready. She's dressed up, but we are wearing neat but casual clothes.

"We're going to the police station, not a party mum!" I sigh and go outside. If I watch her I'll get angry.

Aiden gives me a hug as he can see I've tensed up. I breathe deeply, leaning into him. When mum comes out and locks the door I'm ready to face her. She's a bit overdressed for the bus. Why is she wearing that! It's a nice dress but why?

At least Aiden is taking the bus ride better this time. It's much quieter than Sunday. He squeezes my hand, he must be looking forward to getting some kind of ID. It's only a few stops so it's not that bad that we couldn't get a lift today. When we get there we meet some familiar faces. In the waiting room there's Brian with his uncle and dad.

"Hi, is everything good? We're just picking up Aiden's Papers." I tell them as we find a seat.

Brian is taken unawares, I knew he was avoiding me. "Oh hi, we're here because of my brother."

"I didn't know you had a brother!" I thought he was an only child.

Mum comes in after us and we all start chatting about other things. Mum is called in on her own then Brian's dad, the Chairman. The rest of us wait. A police woman comes out, bringing out Aiden's paperwork. There's a lot more than I thought. I'd given them my new mobile number as an afterthought. They were still waiting on the DNA tests of about twenty eager people looking to adopt Aiden. He wasn't a child but they wanted to be his family anyway.

We look through it as we wait. Even Mr R gets nosy and has a look. It's a whole bunch of application forms. The most important is the national insurance number. The papers from the police just included a case number to prove that Aiden was British and not an illegal immigrant. We all look up as Mum and the Chairman burst into the waiting room. Mum immediately goes to Brian and gives him a hug.

We're looking puzzled. Mum grins, though her cheeks are wet with tears.

"I always knew we were family!"

Brian is completely confused. I get the same treatment from the Chairman. I'm more than shocked. Why is the Chairman hugging me? I look at Aiden, but he just grins with a knowing look. He knew something the whole time!

The Chairman sits across from us and tells us the straight truth.

"Well Alice, it turns out you're my granddaughter! I'm sorry I couldn't understand why my son was so drawn to you, it turns out you're his niece. Samuel was your father and my son, Brian's older brother."