The Forest chapter 9

BRIAN

I'd fallen asleep in the car and someone was knocking on the window. It's dark. I look at my watch. I can clearly see it's ten thirty at night with my glow in the dark watch, I check my phone no missed calls. Someone knocks on the glass again.

I get out and lean against the car. I feel sick. I try to calm down. It's ok she might have seen me sleeping and gone in.

"Are you ok?" The man asks me.

He touches my shoulder. "You really shouldn't sleep in your car with your windows closed." I feel groggy and not quite awake. The man pulls me into the B&B Alice was staying at. My car is dark, I don't remember switching off the power. A wave of sickness overcomes me. As I heave he pulls me to the bathroom.

There's nothing to bring up except acid. I hadn't eaten. I don't feel better.
The man wraps a towel around me.

"I think I should call an ambulance." He gets up to grab his phone. "I'll lock your car for you."

He leaves me in the bathroom. I mustn't forget to ask about Alice, but now I can't even speak. "Your car is locked, it looks like your battery is dead. You'll have to jump start it when you're able."

There's a knock at the door after a short time, it's the paramedics from the ambulance. They lie me down on a stretcher and ask some questions.

"Did you drink any alcohol, take medication or have any health conditions?" The paramedic asked me.

I can't breathe, answering only by shaking my head. One man places an oxygen mask over my face. The other searches my pockets for ID. They are talking to the man who had apparently just saved my life as I passed out.

______________________________________

MATT

I'd meant to check on the man in the car earlier. I was worried about Alice. She had written nine on the board, but it was now after ten, I looked in her room quickly. She'd only taken her shoulder bag and jacket.

I went downstairs and outside. I hadn't asked Frank about Alice. The car was dark and the windows rolled up. There was something wrong.

I squinted through the glass. They were darkened so I couldn't see inside unless I pressed my face against it. I had a torch inside. I came back minutes later.

A burning smell hits me and I can just make out a slumped figure inside, now I'm worried. I knock on the window a few times. There is movement, but I keep knocking for a while before the man gets out. He starts retching, leaning against the car.

I ask if he's ok but I can see he is not. What's that in the car? I leave the door open as I pull him inside. Did he try to commit suicide? I think I should call the police too. The ambulance is already on it's way.

When they arrive the paramedics try to talk to him but he passes out. "Do you know his name or who he is?" I shake my head as they search the man's pockets.

"His car is parked nearby and I could smell burning." I tell them.

He finds the man's wallet. They write down his information from his driver's license and pass it to me. "Give everything to the police." He says.

We walk to the ambulance as the police arrive. I'll check on him later, the police are waiting. I just need to know which hospital. I get all the information before I turn to the police. I recognize them as locals I've met before.

"Could you tell us what happened?" One policeman asks me.

I give them his wallet and car keys. "This man Brian has been sitting in his car since early this evening. I don't know him. I just saw his name now. At first he was watching the door. But he didn't move. I wanted to check if he was a guest." I reply.