The Forest chapter 14

AIDEN

Having Alice to talk to was so much fun. The loneliness is long gone. I'm happy but sad too, she will leave soon. We tell each other stories and I learn all about the world. But I don't really understand, Alice says she could show me one day but I don't want to leave the forest, I'm scared.

The trees are happy as they believe Alice is a priestess destined to be here, a seer. For them destiny doesn't exist but from their memories they have seen how the fates of animals play out. People are just intelligent animals to them.

They heard all she had told me. Also they told me she will help with my quest to bring the forest together. At first I'm told I should travel between the isolated pockets of forest and help them join together over time. I wonder how long my quest will take.

I hesitate to come out of my living prison. The world is different now. I know it's just an excuse but I have been here for so long. I don't bring up her leaving time and days drift into weeks.

She gets me to make all kinds of things like slippers and hair ties. One day I even have to make womans things. I didn't really know what that was because I'm not used to being around a woman. My dad had told me to make sure when I got married that I would be extra nice at those times. When she was sleeping I just kept her clean.

It must hurt a lot, so I make everything fluffy and soft. And care for her extra nicely. I want to be with Alice all the time. I won't let her go, she will be my wife. I wish I could touch her. Maybe I will try to come out a bit. But she said she has to go, maybe she will stay if I come out. I would go with her in a few years. I don't know why I'm like this.

It's the middle of spring and days are warm now, though nights are still cold. She could leave soon, but I want her to stay by my side. She told me about the car that crashed. It seems to be like a metal cart. But fire came out of that one, I don't want Alice to get hurt again. I will protect her, grow her food so she never goes hungry. But I know it's wrong to keep her, she must want to stay. I don't want her to be sad.

The time has come, I'll give her a choice. She can leave or stay. If she leaves I will try to follow her a few years later, or maybe wait here. I could lose her, I don't want her to go! But I must, my dad always told me to leave the door open. I didn't know what that meant as a boy. She loves me and I love her. I see it and I feel it.

______________________________________

ALICE

The day's pass quickly, I've been strong enough to leave for some time. This dream must end eventually. But Aiden is not just boyfriend material, he's husband material. I could stay with him for life. I like him a lot, if only he was a real person.

The only other thing that puts me off is the voice. If only he didn't sound like a little boy in my mind. I've been getting new dreams within this one too. I know this is all a dream, but I eat sleep and even poop in this dream.

I dreamt of Aiden coming out of his tree, in the dream he's not a child or an old man. He's handsome and young with a beard grown long. His hair covering his shoulders. He steps out of the tree clean, like a pea out of pod. He smiles at me and holds my hand. Other dreams were a bit dirty, I blush at the thought.

I never thought of Brian that way, but a magical tree spirit makes me blush. I bet I wake up in a hospital or something when I decide to leave, like this is all a mental test.

The problem is I like this dream. It's magical, and stress free. Aiden is my pretend husband and I'm his wife. We play house like nursery school children. I don't want to wake up. Even when it's that time of the month he looks after me.