The forest chapter 7

ALICE

I had arrived on a bright Saturday afternoon, nearly evening. The small coastal town is lovely. Breathing the fresh air in deeply, I get out my map. The town is small but beautiful. I had come prepared with a guide book about Devon and an *ordnance survey map. The guide book had a road map of Ilfracombe in the back too, this proved much more helpful in town. I soon found the route to my bed and breakfast (B&B) accommodation.

What a dream. I can't help thinking about it. I haven't been able to find the forest or wood on any map. Maybe it was cut down. The thought of that makes me sad. Or is that just my overactive imagination? Either that or it was somewhere completely different.

I find the B & B quite easily and as I'm checking in, my phone rings.

"Hi mum. yes I'm fine. It's beautiful here, yes. Ok I know I'll call every day."

As soon as I hang up I get another call .

"Brian! Oh yes it's lovely here. Yes I've booked four days. I don't mind you calling. It's fine I was just a bit shocked the other day. I'm checking in now. Look I'll send you the address if you insist but you can't come here ok. Promise me. Ok only if it's an emergency."

The poor guy trying to check me in is staring impatiently.

"I better go. You can call me around eight in the evening. Yes every day! Ok bye. See you Wednesday." Finally I just hung up as otherwise I'll still be chatting tomorrow.

"Boyfriend?" Asks the man.

"Just a friend." I check my phone. That's a bit nosey, but he deserves a bit of info, I had kept him waiting for about ten minutes. "Sorry."

"Alice I'm Matt, I hope you have a good time staying here. People often stay here in the summer. But it's off season now it's autumn, so there's only one other guest. You can pick your breakfast on this list and it will be ready 7. 30 tomorrow. Don't forget to pick your breakfast in the evening. Or I have bread and cereal available."

He shows me my room. Not bad.

"If you want anything let me know. Here's your room key."

He gives me a smile and leaves me to unpack. The bed is soft, it's the first thing I try out wherever I go! I also appreciate that Matt is pretty good looking. He has mousey brown hair and he's slightly tanned, with a touch of sunburn on his nose. He seems well built too.

I go down stairs and find Matt. I've finished. I didn't have much to unpack, and now I'm hungry.

"Hi Matt, could I get some information please. About places to eat and visit, especially woods and forests."

I'm impatient to know everything.

"I have a place I'm looking for but it's not online. I know it's silly but I don't have long to find it so I'd appreciate your help. I saw it in my dreams and it was so lovely and magical I wanted to find the real place!" I continue eagerly.

He gives me a look and smiles. "Lots of people come down here for similar reasons. Don't worry it's not silly. There are a lot of tales of magic based around these woodlands and forests though they are much reduced in size. Pockets of the forest in reserves are protected now. I have some leaflets to keep you busy. The information point isn't open till Monday. The pub down the road does a decent meal. I'll walk you down if you want, I could do with a pint." He tells me and grabs his wallet and some leaflets on the way out.

We walk to the pub. He seems nice so I relax and chat as we walk. "It's just here, mind your step"

I enter a lively pub, ducking down under a beam at the door. The place is filled with locals, It's not touristy at all.