The Forest chapter 12

AIDEN

Pain in the distant roots woke me. I strengthened the links in the roots far away from the forest. I followed the hedgerow where young oaks had sprouted. A large willow cries out in pain, it's the willow near the girls house. Since she left, I joined roots with this willow. I learned to speak with it only recently. I offered my help, I made chemicals to stop the fire and I dropped leaves, filling others with water, though the tree is damaged it will be ok.

It thanks me by sharing water in the roots. I feel blood among the roots. There is someone in need of help. I extend our roots and feel that it's too late. I search around as I feel blood from a different source. In the hedgerow there is an injured person. I check with the roots. This person could be saved.

All blood is precious so I must save this person, they could help me. I'm so alone. I wrap the roots around them and gather any blood lost. But it's too far from the centre. I'm not strong enough here. I must bring them to the closer.

It takes nearly an hour for me to pull and reform the roots to bring them to the centre. I repair the trees I've damaged, so they can heal. Finally she is protected. I realised she was a woman as I pulled her here. For a moment I wonder if she is the same girl, but too much time has passed.

Her arm and leg are broken. The leg is worse. She is bleeding from a wound on her head. I reset the bones and wrap them tightly.  The many cuts over her body, I sew shut. I grow spongy damp leaves and start to clean her. Her clothes are torn and I'm reluctant to remove them.

I'm feeling a bit shy, though I'm only seeing her through the trees. I must save her so I wrap her in roots again and remove the clothes by touch. The way I see her with the trees is different but I don't want her to get upset. I've been alone too long. I will need to look at her with my body's eyes. Some injuries can't be seen with the trees.

I had drawn my body out of the ground a few years ago

I had drawn my body out of the ground a few years ago. Knowing the time was nearly here, now the trees were recovering. I was still wrapped in roots but held upright and appeared similar to a tree.

I opened up the leaves above, allowing light to drift down. Gradually moving the roots around one eye until it can see. But I haven't opened it yet. Stop being shy, I tell myself. Also peeking at a girl is wrong. I'll look at her face first and that should be ok.

The trees don't understand me. Oaks are men and women in one body,  for them every tree is a friend, partner and family. The wind and insects are part of the balance between them. They know we are different.

I move the roots from her face. It's time to look. It's blurry. My eyes take time to focus. The woman has curly messy hair. I can't resist brushing it away with a branch. Her face is covered in bruises. The cut was a bit ugly on her forehead. I can't really tell what she looks like.

I must save her. I press thin leaves against her bruised face. I produce a sticky medicine to promote healing. I keep the leaves there and check her arms and legs next. She is soon covered in leaves. I think I'll have to look at the rest of her.