Transfer Talk: Why United Should Opt For Jack Grealish over Kai Havertz

06/06/2020

Manchester United like always, are linked to a 100 players as soon as we approach the transfer window. One player that is making the rounds at the moment is the German playmaker, Kai Havertz.

United look to strengthen their central midfield and are also linked to Jack Grealish and Jude Bellingham. Rumours regarding the departure of Paul Pogba continue to persist, but with the pandemic causing clubs financial problems, it's likely that Pogba could stay at United. Jack Grealish remains a priority for the Red Devils, someone who would boost the depth in the squad. However, the spark of Havertz's brilliant form since the Bundesliga resumed has caused the ManUtd hierarchy a dilemma.

United were previously linked to Kai Havertz last summer but there was no solid interest. This week, German journalist and writer for BILD, Christian Falk has confirmed that United along with a host of top clubs that include Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern, R. Madrid and Barcelona are reportedly interested in acquiring the 20 year olds services.

Havertz is my favorite wonder-kid out there at this moment. I was also excited over that fact that we were going to sign Grealish, but with both of them available, I must admit, we've got a difficult decision to make!

Havertz has racked up a solid 15 goals and 8 assists in 38 appearances in all competitions for Bayer Leverkusen. He has been compared to Zidane, has great movement on and off the ball, great finishing, technically gifted, is good in the air and yeah, two footed (imagine the link-up with Greenwood!).

Jack Grealish has shown his character and maturity this season, nabbing 9 goals and 8 assists in 31 appearances in all competitions. He may have started the season slowly and was almost getting out-shined by team-mate John McGinn. As the competition progressed Grealish's displays improved scoring 7 goals and bagging 6 assists in the Premier League.

Jack Grealish played a pivotal role in Villa's promotion last season contributing 6 goals and 6 assists. The 24 year old English attacking midfielder is also Villa's club captain and can handle pressure, something that's felt quite heavily under the floodlights of Old Trafford. The only way I see Grealish edge over Havertz at this moment is having Premier League experience, and he can endure the physical nature of the Premier League. He's a versatile player and can play as a no.10, a no. 8 and on the left-wing and is great at set-pieces, while Havertz too can play in similar positions including the right wing and as a forward. Kai Havertz will have to put more time into the gym or will get squashed by the likes of Tarkowski and Bardsley on a rainy afternoon at Turf Moor.

As for the Havertz rumours that are picking pace, I believe United will have to fork up a huge sum. Ed Woodward has some tedious work to do as Dortmund will stick to their asking price of 100 million for our no.1 target, Jadon Sancho. On the other hand Leverkusen would be open to selling their German prodigy due the financial implications caused by the pandemic. Bayer Levekursen's coach, Marcel Daum has admitted that he's unsure about Havertz's future.

"The situation with coronavirus is so strange and so complicated that it's still open that he will leave us," the Leverkusen assistant said earlier this week.

"I don't know what will happen, but at Bayer he has the right place to develop his strengths and improve. The only thing I know is that Bayer won't sell him for a cheap fee.

"Everyone is asking about Kai Havertz. If you see him play it tells you everything. For me, he has the elegance of Zidane. If you see his movement, he's very elegant, he's always calm, he has great passing ability.

"What a lot of people don't see, because we watch him every day, is that he's pretty fast. That's a big bonus.

"He's a great player; he's scoring goals, he's great in the air and he's pretty fast.

"It's up to him how far he can go. I can't say he will be the best German player ever, but he has the talent and there are no limits. He's displaying signs of Zidane." [Quotes from Manchester Evening News]

Now here's the problem with Kai Havertz, the money. A couple of days ago it was reported that Leverkusen turned down an 80 million bid down from Real Madrid, according to German newspaper, BILD. Leverkusen are holding out for 100 million. I'm not sure how true could this story be. If Real are really interested in spending big, they would go for the likes of Pogba or Mbappe. Pogba seems the likelier option and Zidane too desperately wanted him.

As for ManUtd, I doubt we're going to spend in the excess of 80 million on two players. If we have the cash, then yeah! Sign Havertz up! But at the moment the pursuit of Jack Grealish makes more sense for the club. Earlier in the season fans were debating between James Maddison and Jack Grealish. Maddison was being touted for a move to United since last season, only to get eclipsed by Jack Grealish strong performances.

Another problem with Havertz moving to United is the amount of time he could take to settle. Seldom do we see foreign player hit the ground running like Bruno Fernandes. Jack Grealish should settle in much quicker and has a fantastic work rate. I'm not trying to make Jack look like the better player, it's just that under the current circumstances, it just makes more sense to sign him.