Preview: Brighton vs ManUtd

20/06/2020

Manchester United will be returning to the Premier League after successfully beating Norwich City 2-1 in the FA Cup quarter-finals. The Red Devils travelled to the Amex Stadium on Tuesday where they’ll face a gritty Brighton side.

Manchester United extended their unbeaten run to 14 games after their victory Norwich City. A draw and victory since the PL commenced post the lockdown has placed the Red Devils at sixth as Wolves beat Aston Villa 1-0 on Saturday. A win against the Seagulls tonight could send United back to fifth keeping them two points behind Chelsea who play on Wednesday.

Brighton and Hove Albion have made a fantastic return with a 2-1 win against Arsenal and a 0-0 draw vs Wolves. The Seagulls were on a 10 game winless streak before the Arsenal win. Graham Potter seems to have got the team in a better position as they sit at 15th on the table, six points ahead of the relegation zone.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made many changes in the win against Norwich. The game went into extra-time which saw Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes play 120 minutes. A majority of the key players were rested or came on as subs. United will still be without Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe. Jesse Lingard made a return in the 2-1 win against the Canaries. There were a few ‘Lingardinho’ moments too but I don’t expect him to start tonight.

Brighton’s Adam Webster will miss out on action today as he is nursing a hamstring injury. Tariq Lamptey could start at right-back as he impressed in his debut vs Leicester City. Another man to keep an eye on is Neal Maupay who scored 9 goals this season, most of them coming at the American Express Stadium.

My predicted line-up (4-3-3): Between the sticks will be David de Gea. We could see Brandon Williams make his first start since the PL resumed. OGS dropped a hint that Luke Shaw might be on the bench. Harry Maguire should be accompanied by Victor Lindelöf who suffered a knock in the game against Sheffield United. At right-back, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, the 22 year old was rested last game.
In midfield we could Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes. They’re pretty much undroppable. At CDM I have feeling there’s a bit of an uncertainty here. Nemanja Matic should start as he has been in glorious form but we might need some muscle tonight and hence Solskjaer could opt for Scott McTominay.

In attack, hattrick hero Anthony Martial will be accompanied by Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood. I’d get pissed to see if Daniel James starts today as Mason Greenwood offers more of an attacking threat. Dan James lacks sharpness and could be ineffective on the right flank. A win is a must tonight.

I’ve seen many people on twitter and several ManUtd chat rooms that I am in expect us to breeze past Brighton. The Seagulls are unbeaten in their last three games and have only once. Their last three games were also against teams in the top half of the table. United have lost their last two games at the American Express Stadium 1-0 and 3-2 respectively but those results have come under a different manager, while Solskjaer will be looking turn our fortunes at the Amex.

Manchester United beat Brighton 3-1 in the reverse fixture at Old Trafford with goals from Andreas Pereira, Scott McTominay and Marcus Rashford. Also, Rashford has scored in United’s last two encounters against Brighton and could play a big role in tonight’s fixture.

Bits from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's press conference:
- Ole’s words from our FA Cup draw: We’re delighted to be in the semis and delighted at the prospect of going to the finals. We seem to be playing Chelsea every other weekend. We will be looking forward to the semis.
- Gomes contract: No news. Doesn’t look like it.
- Top-4 battle: Many teams in the top-4 race. Can’t rule out Wolves, Spurs and Sheffield United.
- 14 game unbeaten run: Players working hard. As a team we’re trying to implement ideas. We’re focusing on our next game.
- Gomes exit: Haven’t heard from the club last night or this morning. To answer in short, yes.
- Rashford’s return: Looked sharp vs Sheffield United and Norwich City. He did miss one-two chances but created goals and that’s what we’re focusing on. Marcus Rashford is on his way to having his best season for Manchester United. I’m looking forward to him getting more minutes and he’ll definitely score goals.
- Champions League: The CL is a great experience for the players and to play against the best. But we need to take one game at a time (to progress to the CL).
- Poor run at the Amex: Brighton are a good footballing side and play good football. The fans matter, they do have an impact but we have to deal with the situation as it is. At the bottom, fans pressure can get to you and sometimes it can give you the extra edge. For me, football is all about the fans.
- Luke Shaw: We manage the squad, the players differently. Luke had a good up-turn in form. He had a spell out earlier in the season and has worked his way to full fitness, worked over lockdown and playing some good football. Let’s see if he starts this one (Brighton).
- Slow gameplay: It affects the players, some players thrive off it. It (gameplay) looks slower I think without the fans, the noise, the crowd, the passion which helps the view from your sofa. You’ve got to create your own atmosphere in there. Some players thrive with crowds; some relax more with no crowd. Individual players and teams react to it differently.