UEL Semis Preview: Sevilla Vs Manchester United

16/08/2020

Manchester United play in their third semi-final of the season where they play Sevilla in the Europa League at the RheinEnergieStadion in Koln, Germany.

Sevilla boss, Julen Lopetegui will only miss out on Nemanja Gudlej but will be happy to have the rest of his squad fit. Meanwhile Phil Jones, Axel Tuanzebe and Luke Shaw remain long term absentees for ManUtd.

My predicted line-up (4-3-3): I’m going to go with Sergio Romero in goal and would be pissed to see De Gea on the team sheet instead. Romero has always put in strong performances and the Argentine will be someone that we can count on if the game heads to penalties. Our back four could consist of Brandon Williams, Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelöf and Aaron Wan-Bissaka. In the game against Copenhagen, United looked much better at the back when the Swede came on for Bailly.

In midfield, Solskjaer will definitely have to pick our best in Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic and Bruno Fernandes. I still think the Red Devils need to work on their passing ability. We’ve often given away the ball too much and that could come costly against a side like Sevilla. Leipzig’s passing was fantastic in the game Vs Atletico in the Champions League. It was Angelino’s beautiful pass from the left flank that set up Adams' winner that night.

Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood complete our most used line-up since post lockdown and one that not only the manager but the fans will have confidence in.

United face a very tough task tonight and I’m very nervous about the game. The biggest threat will be Sevilla’s press. Our defense often gets caught in awkward positions and I hope we don’t play a high line or from the back either.

Lucas Ocampos and Ever Banega will be two players that United will have to keep an eye on throughout the game. It was Ocampos’ goal that sent the Spanish outfit into the semi-finals after beating Wolves. United themselves didn’t have quite a good quarter final but just managed to scrap past with a Fernandes penalty.

Form wise Sevilla could have the edge as United haven’t replicated their initial post lock-down performances but when it comes to quality United should have this one in the bag. Solskjaer has urged his big players to step in this game and I think Bruno and Martial could be key for us tonight.

United have met Sevilla only twice where they beat United 2-1 at Old Trafford and drew their home game of the UCL in 2018. The Spanish outfit have reached the semi-finals of the UEL thrice and have gone on to win it in each one while the last time United reached the semis, they too won went on to win the Europa League.

Bits from Solskjaer’s press conference:
- Team fitness and match importance: We’ve had a few good days recovering and preparing, not very often do have six days between games. Physicaly, definitely we’re ready. Mentally the boys will be ready because it’s a semifinal, everyone will want to take part and join in. I just want them to enjoy it, for me as well. We’ve already been twice in semis this season and of course we’re happy with going far but we’re not satisfied, we want to go one step further.
- How important is it to start well against Sevilla? In any game it’s important to start well. We talk about it, we practice it, we’re prepared for a good start but definitely against good teams if you start on the back foot, if you don’t get on the first touches, if you don’t get the first tackle, you’re going searching and you’re playing against a team full of quality. And if you don’t get touches on that ball it’ll be hard.
- Sergio Romero’s performances: I think Sergio is in a unique and special situation because a goalkeeper department with one of the best goalkeepers stills has 10 years. David has been exceptional and it says everything about Sergio’s professionalism and his qualities. When he plays, he performs. Of course he’s experienced, he always needs to know how to prepare, focused, concentration is fantastic and he’s been a very very good goalkeeper for us.
- What have United learnt from previous semifinals to ensure that this one could have a different outcome? When you come to a semifinal you play against teams with quality. It’s time to step up for big players, big game moments. You have to have 100% focus because any little moment can change a game, can win or lose you the game. And we’ve learnt that it’s very painful to lose a semifinal.
- Concerns regarding the schedule? Absolutely no concerns about the next season at the moment. We have a good possibility to finish to the season and of course this was the only way we could finish the season. I think foe the supporters as well, to have a game every week on the tele every day has been very important. You look forward to the Champions league and Europa league games, so I think that has been helpful. We have to use it as preparation for this tournament but it’s almost a pre-season for next season because it is not very long until we have to get going again. We have to be clever when we rest people, how we play, it’s just the time we’re in, we can’t complain.
- Players rest before next season? There’s no point me worrying about it, the authorities will give us as much rest as they can. Hopefully we have 30 days at least before we start, that means we can give them a two week holiday and it gives us two weeks to prepare for the first game.
- Sevilla are unbeaten in 19 games, what must United do to beat them? Score more goals than them. It’s no easy obviously. They are a very organized team, aggressive style of play, pressing, they’ve got some very good individuals there, so we have to play our best game. We have to be able to keep the ball when we can and play out of their press. We’ve got to be clever, creative and of course as I said, have to step up in big moments. These games are often decided by a set piece or individual brilliance.
- Did you watch the Barcelona game and what did you make of it? I have to say Bayern Munich are setting the standard at the moment, throughout the season really. I think the new coach coming in, and they have been absolutely brilliant. It was a top class performance by a top team.