Sticking With Smalling

10/08/2020

Manchester United have been rumoured to be in the market for a new center-back. Gabriel Magalhaes is one name that has been making the rounds in recent news and United would have to shell out at least 30-40 million Euros for the Brazilian. But instead of signing another center-back this season, could we just play smart and look no further than keeping Chris Smalling?

With the Sancho deal almost wrapped up (at the time of uploading, I've found out that BVB have extended his contract), I believe United will have already spent half if not more than half of its summer transfer budget. The way we use our funds could be key as to have we perform next season. In Sancho we’ve already got a right-winger but we most also add to our midfield and defense if we really want to give Manchester City and Liverpool a challenge.

Chris Smalling has had a pretty solid stint at AS Roma, having made 37 appearances and scoring three goals. Roma manager, Paulo, Fonseca was happy with the 30 year old and wanted to retain him. There were also talks of Roma trying to sign Smalling but the two clubs couldn’t agree on a fee.

This ‘new’ Smalling has looked strong and confident. Holding on to him for another season could be a great piece of business or strategy. He could be rotated with Lindelöf and Bailly to play alongside Maguire. Smalling has had small patches of strong performances for United in the past but never managed to seal a permanent spot in the starting eleven. He would also the necessary depth and steel to the team.

“I think Chris has shown, over his career at Manchester United, how valuable he is for United,” Ole said at a press conference ahead of Wednesday's Europa League second leg with LASK. “This season was about him being a regular and going to Roma, showing and proving how good a centre-back he is.

“I wanted to give Harry and Victor and maybe Axel a chance and so he found out that it was best for him to go to Roma to play for a year.
“Now he's coming back. Chris has shown this season that he will be valuable so I've been speaking to Chris throughout and been delighted with his season.”

Smalling was gutted to have seen his journey cut short and not finish his Europa League campaign with AS Roma. On the hand, United have sold Alexis Sanchez to Inter Milan which helps us save a huge chunk of money as he was on really high wages.

What the club really lacks now is a fiery presence in midfield, someone with the presence like that of Roy Keane. We also need a CDM as Nemanja Matic is not getting any younger. United could sign Thomas Partey who could be available for 50 million Euros from Atletico Madrid. Jack Grealish is another attacking midfielder who the club has been interested in but could cost us 80 million.

Sticking with Chris Smalling for another season could free up funds to sign another midfielder for next season. It could also give us time to search a perfect partner for Harry Maguire or see someone like Axel Tuanzebe seal a spot in that first eleven.