Preview: Crystal Palace Vs Manchester United

16/07/2020

A difficult task ahead’ that’s how I’ll sum up today’s trip to Selhurst Park. The next three days are going to be quite intense. Manchester United dropped points at Old Trafford vs Southampton that kept us in fifth.  United were minutes away from leapfrogging Chelsea and Leicester City into third only for Obafemi to equalize in the 96th minute.

Luke Shaw, Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood all remain doubtful for tonight’s game and will be assessed before the game. Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe are long term absentees. Crystal Palace will miss out on Christian Benteke as he’s serving three-match suspension while defenders Gary Cahill and James Tomkins are ruled out with injuries.

My Predicted line-up (4-3-3): De Gea will be seeking his 12th clean sheet of the season as he starts in goal. At left back we could possibly see Diogo Dalot start ahead of Luke Shaw, Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire at centre-back and Aaron Wan-Bissaka completing the backline and right-back.

In midfield, Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes will be play flexible roles as they will be guarded by Nemanja Matic in CDM. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Scott McTominay start either with the FA Cup Semi-final looming over us.

Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial could have Daniel James spear the attack as Mason Greenwood remains highly doubtful. Greenwood’s seemed to have a quiet day after the Oriol-Romeu tackle in the Southampton game.

Everyone knows that games at Selhurst Park never come easy. If United want to qualify for the Champions League then they need to win all of their remaining games. Wolves drew against Burnley yesterday giving us a bit of breathing space but Leicester remain ahead of us due to goal difference.

In my opinion United should try to kill the game within the first 60 minutes and then okay a more relaxed, controlled game. The Semi-finals against Chelsea on the 19th is a huge fixture and will obviously be a tough one.

Coming back to the Palace game, The Eagles have lost five consecutive games and haven’t won any of their last 10 games at home against United, losing 7 and drawing 3.

Bits from Solskjaer’s Press Conference:
- OGS’s words on Rashford getting a honorary degree: We’re so proud of him. He’s a great person, great human being. He cares so much more about others than himself. Hope he’ll keep his personality for the rest of his life.
- Left-Back situation: Luke Shaw has a swollen ankle, will give him as much time as possible to recover. Same for Brandon Williams.
- Freshen up the team? Team selection for Thursday is based on Thursday not Sunday, Sunday is irrelevant. We’ll see the injury situation. There might be one-two fresh legs incoming.
- Player’s response to setback: Keep doing what you’re doing. You’re at a club where it all boils down to the last 2-3 games in the season. We’ve done fantastic since we restarted. That little bir of setback is a test for mentalities.
- Roy Hodgson: I do admire him a lot. There’s two things that must’ve happened there, 1) You must be good at what you’re doing 2) You must like what you are doing. Roy has shown the young brigade what it takes to be at the top.
- ManCity verdict: Its other people’s thing to debate that, my job is to make sure we focus on the next game.
- Reverse fixture: That result was a freak result. I don’t think that would happen again if we play the same game. But we have to respect teams with the quality that they have, well organized, structures, got individuals who can win games.
- Anthony Martial: Definitely developing, he’s improving, enjoying his football. He’s stepped it up this season, both as an individual but more as a team player. He’s working really hard for the team, pressing in the front, quality finisher.
- Best Utd since SAF? Don’t think it’s my job to say if it’s the best team. But of course we played some good football, some enjoyable football, now it’s about consistency. We’re priviledged to play and represent this great club and there’s a certain expectation on how we should play football. We’re getting closer and closer to that type of team.