Preview: ManUtd vs Bournemouth

04/07/2020

It's Match Day 33 and Manchester United face Bournemouth at Old Trafford today. United can leapfrog Chelsea and go level with Leicester on points if they win as they play before them. Both Chelsea and Leicester dropped points last week making the gap for Champions League spots even tighter.

United comfortably beat Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Wednesday while 19th placed Bournemouth suffered a 4-1 defeat to Newcastle United.

The Red Devils will be without Tuanzebe who has been ruled out for the rest of the season with Phil Jones returning to training but is unlikely to feature. 18 year old right back, Ethan Laird has been promoted to the senior team and is highly rated by the club. Meanwhile Bournemouth will miss out on Callum Wilson who's serving his second of his two-match ban due to the accumulation of 10 yellow cards. Defenders, Charlie Daniels and Simon Francis remain highly doubtful  because of knee injuries.

My predicted line-up (4-3-3): In goal remains David de Gea who'll be seeking his sixth consecutive clean sheet at Old Trafford. At left back, we may see Brandon Williams today. Luke Shaw has featured heavily since the PL returned. The centre backs will likely be Victor Lindelöf and Harry Maguire. Completing with backline at right back will be Aaron Wan-Bissaka who has racked up two assists in his last two games.

In midfield we could see Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes and Scott McTominay. I don't expect Matic to play week in and week out, he doesn't have the legs for thag anymore. The Serbian has been in brilliant form and would be wise to rest him.

The trio of Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood will lead our attack. I've got a gut feeling that we could see Dan James start ahead of Greenwood but I want to stick with the 18 year old after his impressive performance vs Brighton and hoping he can build on that.

I hope that players remain fully focused. Personally, I would rather play teams in the top 3 rather than a relegation side as the season draws towards it's end. Yes, Bournemouth got thumped 4-1 but we shouldn't get complacent. United are unbeaten in their last 15 games while Bournemouth have lost six out their last seven games.

Bournemouth have never won at Old Trafford but they did beat us 1-0 in the reverse fixture. The Cherries last away victory was vs Chelsea back in December. They have lost 10 of their 11 away games this season.

A strong 60 minute performance could be enough to secure the three points, similar to what we did against Brighton. United don't play again for 5 days and proper rotation could be key to building momentum.

Bits from OGS Press Conference:
- His thoughts on the teams confidence: It's been a while since we've been on a run like this, the first one coming when I first came in, that was good. We're feeling confident because the players have worked so hard in lockdown. We also had good games vs Sheffield United and Brighton.
- Mason Greenwood: Done well in giving him more and more exposure, game time. It's not easy being a young boy, we have to look after him. He performs well from the bench or when he starts and has developed fantastically. The sky's the limit and it's up to him.
- MG pace, strenght: Mason is a centre forward by trade, likes to drift wide, to face forward. Greenwood is improving on several aspects of his game.
- Gap between Liverpool and ManCity: Two very good teams. We believe we're on the right track, we think we can improve on what we're now and close the gap further.
- Criticism and his justification: If you worry about what others write, think about you, you shouldn't be in this job. For me it's just about the next game to keep improving. I try to do what's right, that's what I've done all my life. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
- Difficult game today: There's teams that we've got to prove a point against and that we have to improve on our last performance against them. No, I don't think it's an easy game. To win a game of football, we have to perform and Bournemouth, they're fighting relegation, it's not a nice place to be in. They're one of the best team in set pieces. If we play to our best, we should create chances enough to win the game.
- Fitness issues: We have to look after the players. It would be nice to see the team that played vs Brighton. I've got many reasons to play the same team but also got reasons to not play those that have played well earlier in the season.
- Bellingham: There's been loads of speculation. We're linked to so many players of ages 15-25. I can't really comment on every single player linked with us.
- Clean sheets: Every time you get a clean sheet that's a big plus because we know we're capable of creating chances, scoring goals. The foundation for any team, any manager would say at the back, the shape, the intensity of the defensive work to get a result and you got a team. So for me it starts with Anthony Martial and ends with David de Gea. It's a team effort.
- Comparison between Greenwood and himself: Mason is way ahead of a player that I was at 18-19 for sure. He's got a knack of scoring goals. I don't really want to say anything different because it's nature for him and it was what I could do as well. Brilliant boy to work with and he keeps on learning, keeps on making better and better decisions, he'll be good.
- What's different between now and the previous game vs Bournemouth: More confidence, results and performances will give more confidence. The team's working as a unit towards one goal. Everything is better than what we were back then. It's hard to point at one particular reason. I'm pleased with everyone.