Wolves Sniff Champions League Berth

23/06/2020

If you take a glance at the table you'll notice that ManUtd and Wolves are tied at 46 points. We're ahead on goal difference (5 Goals) in fifth! They're literally breathing down our necks!

With 8 games remaining to go, the battle for fourth place seems to be getting pretty intense. Chelsea are 5 points ahead of United in fourth and that will give Frank Lampard some sense of relief. The Blades are two points behind us in 7th and Spurs and Palace 4 points below us in 8th and 9th respectively.

I don't think United can afford to drop points anymore and will literally have to give their everything. I'm not comfortable at 5th because I don't know what to expect with City's CL fate but the Citizens appear to be confident regarding their appeal with CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sports) possibly making a decision in early July.

Manchester United will have to keep a close eye on Wolverhampton Wanders. Both United and Wolves have a good run of fixtures until Match day 38 where we play Leicester City and Wolves play Chelsea. Analyzing our next 8 fixtures, I feel Sheffield, Brighton (Away), Palace (Away) and Leicester (Away) won't be quite easy, though I do expect us to win each and every game with the squad at our disposal.

As for Wolves, they could possibly drop points against Sheffield (Away), Everton, Burnley (Away) and Chelsea (Away). They play Arsenal too but the Gunners need to get their shit together big time! Wolves like Sheffield United, are a very stubborn outfit to play against and have lost only six times this season. Only Liverpool have lost fewer games than them which is... one. Their Mexican forward Raul Jimenez has 14 goals and 6 assists in 30 games this season while muscular winger Adama Traoré has 4 goals and 8 assists in 29 games. The duo have been subject to transfers and are linked to some big clubs.

Manchester United managed to salvage a draw against Tottenham Hotspur after Bruno Fernandes converted a penalty in the 81st minute. United played well but struggled in the latter stages of the game only for Pogba and Greenwood to come on and inject some much needed energy. We've struggled against teams whilst having ball possession but we're yet to see what we get off Pogba and Bruno for a full 90 and I'm very optimistic and excited to see them link up again.

Meanwhile, Wolves won 2-0 against West Ham at the London stadium. Before the introduction of Traoré, Wolves looked a bit lethargic but I think saving Adama Traoré was a genius tactical move for the beast to feed on the tired Hammers. Goals by Raul Jimenez and Pedro Neto helped Nuno's men leapfrog Sheffield and Spurs into fifth.

Above us in fourth Chelsea have 5 difficult fixtures, Manchester City, Palace (Away), Sheffield United (Away), Liverpool (Away) and Wolves. There could be several twists as the season progresses and I don't want to jinx anything by making any claims.
Manchester United play Sheffield United on Wednesday at home while Wolverhampton Wanderers entertain Bournemouth at the Molineux. Both matches kick off at the same time.

Scroll up to read article on Scott Mctominay's contract extension!