The FA Cup Dream: Odion Ighalo

19/07/2020

"To get to the final would be great for me in my life and my career. I missed out in 2016 and I have the opportunity to now get to the final with the club I've supported all my life. It would make my dreams perfect. It will be tough but we have what it takes," said Ighalo in an interview with MUTV.

Odion Ighalo joined Manchester United in January on a loan deal from Shanghai Shenua. The striker was ecstatic when he found out that he was going to join his favorite club. He has also not hidden his desire to stay at the club and give his everything. Ighalo was involved in the 2016 FA Cup semis where his former team Watford were knocked out by Crystal Palace.

"It was a difficult one to take against Crystal Palace, we lost 2-1 at Wembley. If we'd have won, we'd have played United in the final," he recalled. "Unfortunately, we lost. It was a bitter one to take but this is an opportunity again in an FA Cup semi-final to make it right and go forward to the final. If I'm called to play, I'm going to give all I can to help the team win the game."

Manchester United went on to the win the FA Cup in that season. Crystal Palace took the lead in the 78th minute through Jason Puncheon only for Juan Mata to equalise three minutes later. Jesse Lingard then went on to score the winner in extra time.

The Red Devils face Chelsea in a crunch semi-final and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer didn't give out much as to whether the Nigerian would start ahead of the in-form Anthony Martial. I think Ighalo could play a big role in the Chelsea game by holding up the Chelsea defensive line, inviting and making room for our players.

"Everybody wants to play against teams like Chelsea, big teams, and play well against them and, most of all, playing at Wembley and, you know if you win, you're in the final. So, of course, it's going to give you more to want to fight hard and make sure you give everything to win the game," said the Nigerian forward.

"We have beaten them three times this season I think, one in the Carabao Cup and two in the league, and we're playing them now in the semi-final. All those games don't count though," he added. "This is a different game which is going to be even tougher without the fans in stadium. We have to fight from the first minute until the end. It's always tough against them but I think, with the quality and momentum we have now, we are ready to go and to win against any team."

Ighalo has made 14 appearances for the Red Devils scoring 5 goals and bagging 1 assist. The striker has 3 goals in two FA cup matches. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been impressed by the Nigerians work ethic and passion and only time will tell whether the club will make his move permanent.