Angel Gomes Leaves ManUtd

01/07/2020

Angel Gomes has left Manchester United after his contract expired yesterday. The 19 year old midfielder was tipped for success at Old Trafford and deemed as one of United’s biggest future prospects. With Gomes now no more on United’s books, have we got ourselves into another Pogba type scenario?

The 2017 U17 World Cup winning captain created a lot of buzz last month. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer frequently got asked about Gomes' contract situation during press conferences since the Premier League resumed.

When asked about Gomes exit before the Brighton game Solskjaer said that he hadn’t heard from the club ‘the previous night or this morning’ and to shortly put it ‘Yes’.

Reports suggest that Gomes was given a ‘big financial’ offer but he turned it down to find more game time elsewhere. Angel Gomes featured only eight times for United this season, five of those coming in the Europa League. Paul Pogba found himself in a similar situation after getting frustrated due to lack of game time. He then went on to sign for Juventus where he established himself before joining United once again in 2016.

Angel Gomes made history in the 2016-17 season for Manchester United as he became the youngest player to represent them when he came on for Wayne Rooney vs Crystal Palace after Duncan Edwards.

The 19 year old will be seeking a new club and was rumored to a move at Chelsea, a rumor that Frank Lampard dismissed. United has seen a lot of its youth players get promoted to the senior team and hold their place in the squad. Scott McTominay, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams have all impressed since their promotion. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted to keep Gomes but with his demands under our current situation I can understand why we aren’t playing him much.

We’ve got some fantastic senior players at the moment and all of them have been in good shape since the Premier League returned. The win against Brighton last night was quite a wholesome performance and the club seems to be moving in the right direction. We’re also in a really tough spot, fighting for a Champions League place and potentially trying to win the FA Cup and the Europa League. One can argue that we should have given Gomes more minutes instead of Andreas Pereira or Jesse Lingard who have been having a poor campaign but we have no clue what’s on the minds of the coaches and the manager.

Angel Gomes is also short but he makes that up with his talent. He’s got great composure, good at dribbling, finding spaces and good at dead balls too. He is more of a team player and has got a good footballing IQ. But only time will tell whether we’ve truly lost a gem of a player or he's just another Adnan Januzaj, who failed to live up to his potential.

Wishing Angel Gomes the best for his future and hope he finds the right club where he can develop his attributes.