Super Serb! Matic Pens New Deal Until 2023

06/07/2020

Manchester United’s Serbian midfielder, Nemanja Matic, signed a new contract with the club. The deal will see the 31 year old remain at the club until 2023.

“I am very happy that I will continue to be part of this great club,” Matic said.

“As a player, I still have a lot more to give and achieve in my career and to do that with Manchester United will be a huge honour.”

“This is a really exciting team to be part of, we have a good balance of youth and experience within the squad and there is great comradery amongst the group.”

“This is a key part of the season and we are playing well. We will continue to fight to finish the season on a high and make our amazing supporters proud,” said Matic remaining optimistic.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was full of praise for the Serb.

“I am delighted that Nemanja has signed a new contract, I know his experience, professionalism and leadership will be invaluable to this young talented group," he said.

“We have great strength in midfield and Nemanja’s attributes are a key part of that. Nemanja has been here for three seasons now and really understands the values of playing for Manchester United.

“He remains hugely ambitious and determined which will be vital as we look to achieve our aims over the coming years.”

We often talk about people’s character based on the way they dress and Nemanja Matic rolled into Carrington with his Mercedes wearing a matte grey suit and a black shirt. But the most eye-catching accessory of his outfit was the red pocket square that had some traditional design. He also signed the contract with a silver or gold coloured pen which makes me happy because it shows how much this means to him and how highly he regards the club.

I know these little details about the way he dressed and about the pen might seem a bit childish on my behalf but take a look at the unveiling of the most recent contract extensions!

The Serbian’s upturn in form impressed the ManUtd hierarchy and he has become an integral part to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad.

Matic’s form in 2019 sparked a concern for many supporters. I’m sure many of wanted him out to make way for youth players such as James Garner. The rise of Scott McTominay and Fred also saw the Serbian fall down the pecking order.

Many people will talk about Matic’s post-lockdown displays but I believe it was around January where the defensive midfielder began to challenge for his place. The signing of Bruno Fernandes gave United a huge boost in the dressing room and the way they played. All of the limelight began to go to the Portuguese but it is Matic who I feel is one of United’s unsung hero.

United have kept more clean sheets every time the Serbian has started and there feels to be a sense of assurance and stability with him playing deep in midfield. This enables Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes to move around more and create chances.

Solskjaer and pundits praised him for his solids performances while United’s blistering forwards and Bruno and Pogba kept getting all the plaudits.

“Nemanja is playing some of his best football. He’s had a good pre-season for the first time in many, many years and today he was dictating the game and his experience is vital for us,” said Ole in his post-match press conference Vs Brighton which United won 3-0.

Matic joined United in 2017 from Chelsea and has made 117 appearances. He has scored once and bagged 3 assists in 27 appearances for the Red Devils this season.