Martial Needs To Step-Up

29/11/2020

"Martial almost conned us into thinking he was one at the end of last season because he scored so many goals and was quite good," said Paul Scholes a few months ago. That quote has been ringing in my head ever since.

Martial bagged 23 goals and 12 assists in 48 appearances last season. The Frenchman along with Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood formed a deadly trio and all looked set in the front. Rumours of Jadon Sancho joining the club made us all feel that he was the missing puzzle and once he joined the club, we wouldn't have to worry much about our attack. Sancho never arrived and the club roped in Edinson Cavani, Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo who is set to join in January from Atlanta.

I don't want to be harsh on Anthony Martial but his performances vs Portugal in the UEFA Nations League and vs West Brom in the Premier League have irked me. Martial had a total of three instances in both games where he should've found the back of the net. In each instance he had to only beat the goalkeeper and it made me think that it is chances like these that could potentially see us drop unnecessary points in the future. We came close to doing that vs West Brom only to be bailed out by a Bruno Fernandes penalty. I'm sure Didier Deschamps will be taking a closer look at details like these too for the upcoming Euros team selection.

The 24 year-old is undoubtedly talented but needs to be more consistent. He has made a poor start to the season, scoring twice and picking two assists in nine games in all competitions. Edinson Cavani's involvement vs Istanbul Basaksehir highlighted why we require a more natural number 9 in the team. There's still a long season ahead and Martial will be given enough game time to prove his doubters wrong. Personally, I think he should've been a deadly finisher from anywhere on the field as he's in his sixth season at the club and turns 25 in December.

Manchester United play Southampton and PSG before facing West Ham away in a span of seven days. All games remain important and a win against PSG would see United seal their place in the last 16 of the Champions League.