chapter - 7: nightmares ....again

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

"Chaeryeong-ah— "

"Stop it!"

Everyone inside the library paused as they looked at Chaeryeong who just raised her voice. Chaeryeong bats her eyes under the influence of her actions.

"Why are you shouting at me?" the girl asks.

"Because you're annoying. I have to study and the teacher handed us our freaking syllabus so stop asking me about it." She whispered screamed at her.

"But I— "

"Shut up," she hissed and took her books with her and left. Chaeryeong didn't actually storm out of the library but took to the deepest corner of the large hall of books. The corner where no one wants to visit because it's isolated and creepy with books no one can understand. At this rate, she doesn't give a damn whether the books are readable or not.

But never did she expected to come across Shin Ryujin there, because she did. Chaeryeong didn't want to draw her attention so she puts her books down with the slightest movement. But Ryujin looked up.

"Why are you sneaking around?"

"Pardon?"

"Don't be scared. I won't bite, at least not inside a library."

Chaeryeong finally smiles, Ryujin is approachable inside a library. That's a start.

"S-sure."

They sat across each other for a moment, a very long moment. Chaeryeong couldn't believe her eyes, Shin Ryujin is actually reading. A novel, but then again, what's the difference?

"You poured orange juice all over Lim Hwagyoung because she started the rumor that you killed... her." Chaeryeong began, cautiously in an attempt to not draw attention.

"Right," and Ryujin answered right away.

"Why wouldn't you just tell everyone the truth? That Jeon Heejin was your childhood friend who looked out for you just like you did for her. And that you were mad at her not threatening her. It would be easier that way, you know?"

Ryujin smirks, "no."

Chaeryeong crossed her eyebrows.

"If I did that, I can never find out who did this to her."

Chaeryeong took a moment to digest what she said. "You don't think she killed herself, don't you?"

"Ace is as weird as it is. Students killed every year, suicide as an excuse. I just wanna find out why," Ryujin flipped through the pages of her book. "What about you?"

"What about me?"

"You were Heejin's reading partner. She never tell you anything?"

Chaeryeong kept mum. "She did."

Ryujin raise her head, "what?"

"That she was struggling in the dance class. Her grades were dropping and she felt inferior to.... people."

"People?"

"She didn't say who. You know how Heejin is with names. She thinks personal relationship must be kept in secrecy or otherwise."

"Yeah. Heejin was like that. It always annoy me how she puts herself after others."

"Ryujin-ah.... you.... have a jinx, right?"

Ryujin paused whatever she was doing. She didn't want to answer that.

"I'm sorry. I can't tell you everything, Chaeryeong."

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Lia was restless. She was supposed to submit the homeworks today but obviously someone decided not to show up. She was too kind to get anyone in trouble but she was also too dumb to save herself.

"Bian-ah, have you seen Sihyeon today?"

"No," shrugged the dame. "Sihyeon hasn't shown up for her art academies either."

"Really? Thank you." Lia excused herself. She began to grow worried. Sihyeon hasn't come to school for three days now and the last time she saw her, Sihyeon was rushed to the medical room. Obviously she was malnourished considering how little she ate. Even her parents came to confirm so.

"I hope she's okay."

She knocks over Soobin whilst drowning in her thoughts. "I'm so sorry, Soobin."

"It's okay. You should really raise your head while walking."

His last words caught her off guard. "What did you say?"

"You should raise your head when you're walking. Where are you going with those books?"

"Ah." She snaps out. "I have to deliver these to the science laboratory room."

"They look heavy. Let me help you."

"It's okay."

"I insist." He reassures her with a smile and carries all of the books.

Together they walk together to the top floor where the science laboratory was. The stairs were a killer considering how obviously far stretched they were.

"So... you and Yeonjun, huh?"

"What? Of course not," she laughs, awkwardly. "He's just being friendly, although it's suspicious but it's really not a problem."

"Not a problem? If Yeji hears of this— "

"Yes. I am aware of how scary and intimidating Hwang Yeji can get," she cuts him off. Personally, she hates getting to this topic and that too, with him. "Enough about Yeonjun, let's talk about us."

"W-what?"

She realised what she just said. "Ah, I mean, more about us individually."

"Oh. Well, my name is Choi Soobin. I'm 17 years old, internationally. I love photography and my hobbies change according to my mood. I hate math and I'm kinda tired cause I haven't slept an inch last night."

She laughs. "What was that?"

He smiles with her, "I was being funny."

"Well... that worked. Why didn't you get any sleep last night?"

Soobin sighs, "its complicated. I had a nightmare, of you."

"Me?" she perks her eyes.

"Yeah. It was scary," he shivers as he recalls everything he saw.

"Tell me."

"No. I can't possibly."

"Soobin.... please?"

"Fine." He puffs his cheeks. "A girl was trying to kill you... push you down from a building. I knew her, the girl who was trying to push you."

Maybe, maybe she shouldn't have ask. That was the first thing that came to her as she listened. But it didn't hurt to know. "W-who is she?"

"That girl who jumped down last year... "

"Oh no." Lia knew she shouldn't have asked.

"Jeon Heejin."

~ • ~ • ~ • ~