PROLOGUE ✨

A DROP OF WATER IN THE VAST SEA.

It was dark and it was cold. Like a deep sea, the waves were jostling him around but never bringing him to shore, only making the boy choke on icy water and sink deeper to the murky bottom. His limbs had gone numb since long and he did not know if he was actually blind or if it was just that dark, an impenetrable darkness practically tangible around him.

There was no notion of time in the space cavity that was cradling his soul. It could have been days, years or centuries even. Maybe this was the begins of a universe. Would he then explode and become a burning star – or was it a black hole? Or maybe he was just a tiny drop of water in a vast sea, being lulled to final rest.

The boy sighed, well, at least he imagined that he sighed, since he did not even know if he had a mouth, lest even a body. Maybe he was just a tiny ball of humming energy, fighting the pull of the tide.

But then one unimaginable day he finally opened his round eyes, pupils contracting at the stark light filling his senses, breath choking on dusty air. The boy blinked sluggishly, mind fragmented and gaze unfocused. The phantom feeling of tides and waves was still strumming through him, keeping him afloat even and out of the darkness, keeping him under the spilling light coming from the unfamiliar window.

He felt drained but the light was charging him, so maybe there was still hope for him – hope for life.