CH 9

THE GHOSTS OF THE PAST (I).

Sarawat sat on his bed, one hand rubbing at the short, wet hair at his neck with a fluffy towel while his other hand thumbed lazily through his phone, opening Facebook.

"Tine," Sarawat drawled and flinched slightly when the aforementioned guy popped up right next to him on the bed, back straight and eyes shining expectantly, pale hands folded innocently in his lap.

"Yes?" He asked curiously and shuffled closer, obviously starved for attention. Sarawat's lips curled in amusement at how adorable the other guy was acting and he shook his head fondly. Tine inclined his own head, blinking confusedly at the other but nevertheless waiting patiently for Sarawat to explain the reason for calling him out.

Sarawat swiped one last time over the screen and mutedly thrust his hand out with the cell phone where the Facebook feed was open, trying to pass it over to Tine, who automatically reached out to grasp the device. The phone however, dropped instantly straight through Tine's nonexistent hand, making his fingers dissolve into tendrils of fog before they quickly clustered back together.

The phone bounced on the bed in the silence between them.

Sarawat's eyes widened comically, eyebrows arched. Oh shit. Tine looked so real that he had forgotten all about him being a ghost and it seemed that it had slipped Tine's mind as well.

Tine's forehead wrinkled, an unreadable expression on his face as he stared forlornly at the sleek device peaking out between the folds of the dark sheets. He bit his lower lip and made an aborted movement as if to pick it up but refrained, curling his very real looking fingers into fists instead. Maybe if Tine concentrated hard enough he could gather some force to hold the cell phone for a teeny, tiny moment but then he would probably have to disappear for a while longer to recharge his ghostly battery.

"Uh, sorry." Sarawat scratched at his nape awkwardly. He then threw the wet towel on the bed beside him and picked up the phone with his long fingers, not knowing what to do with his hands now that he held the device. "Let me hold it up for you to see," he decided finally and angled the cell phone in Tine's direction, who shyly slid closer, peaking over Sarawat's shoulder at the sleek screen.

A tickling chill crept along the side of Sarawat's body where Tine hovered close to him. Making Sarawat wonder if that would be as close as he would ever get to feel some sort of presence from Tine, just that one fleeting trace of smooth, cold air. Sarawat felt tempted to reach out and let his hand glide through Tine's afterimage, letting it ripple apart from his intrusive fingers. Sarawat almost shivered at the mere thought of it, of violating Tine's existence so easily like that. It was so strange. How could such things as ghosts exist? Tine looked so very real.

"Oh, is this Facebook?" Tine inquired, bringing Sarawat out of his thoughts. Tine's mood seemed to be lifting slowly after their slight slipup with the phone, now that he had a hunch of where this talk might be heading.

Sarawat raised an eyebrow at the question. Funny, was Facebook known even on the other side?

"Yeah, I haven't been to get any consistent information from your friends yet but there's a lot of pictures of you on their feeds," he explained.

"What's wrong with my account?" Tines asked sulkily as he glanced at Sarawat's side profile, eyes taking a detour to his bow shaped lips before darting back to the screen.

Again.

Tine was unconsciously dropping hints all over the place. Some kind of memories were obviously still hidden inside his mind. It was just a matter of wheedling them out. Maybe there were things out there that could trigger Tine's memory? Something like seeing familiar people or places?