Chapter One: Unavoidable

You froze at the sound of a shuttle landing outside your home, your family standing around you. You turned quickly to look at your parents, seeing a look of fear in their eyes. Ever since the first time you felt the power of the Force, they knew this day would come.

It happened when you saw your brother in danger: he was almost captured by some creature who wanted to sell him as a slave, thirsting for more money and power. You screamed in terror and before you could understand what was happening, the creature was pinned to the ground in an invisible grip, squealing and struggling against the dirt, choking against your hand. And before you could process your feelings, you repeatedly struck the creature with your heavy staff, killing it so it could never harm your brother again.

Now they had come; you thought they might sense your power, as did your parents, and you were all right. Damn it, we were right.

You heard heavy footsteps thundering down a metal ramp and crossing the ground to your home, feet making slight sloshing sounds in the wet earth. Of course the Commander, Kylo Ren, was the one who had to attend to this mission.

Before you had the chance to do anything, he pushed his way in, his massive figure towering in the doorway.

"There's no reason to try and hide it. I can sense the power within you." The sound of his modified voice sent shudders through your body and made your knees tremble, a fear you didn't know was possible rose inside you.

"Y-yes Commander, I thought you might come."

"So you must realize what I'm here for," he took a step closer but you held your ground, wanting more than anything to hide behind your parents, but knowing what would happen if you did.

"Yes. And, if I were to choose not to leave, what would happen?" Your lips trembled as you crossed your arms in an attempt to look menacing.

"If you were so unwise as to refuse to come with me," he stretched out his hand and lightly took hold of your chin, forcing you to look up into his blank mask.  "Your family would be killed, and you would be taken as a prisoner of The First Order."

Your father stepped towards the Commander and held his arm out in front of you, knocking Ren's hand from your face, emotion visible in his shaking voice.

"You can't take her from us. Her powers would be harmless to you, she's unsure of how to use them and has no desire to!"

Commander Ren stood towering over your father, "Ah, but you're wrong. I sense longing in her, a desire for more...more power, more strength..." 

Your father placed a hand on your shoulder and tried to look you in the eyes, but you looked away from him. 

"I'm sure you all know that even together, you would be powerless against me."

You nodded, looking behind Kylo Ren to see a cluster of Storm Troopers, waiting for an order. 

"I will go with you," you stepped towards him, pushing your father behind you. "But you mustn't hurt my family. If you touch even one hair on their heads, it will be the end of you."

You tried again to appear menacing, but the top of your head barely reached the top of his chest, making you look like a small child in comparison. 

A small crackle came from Ren's mask as he snorted.  "Train with me, and you might gain that power." His deep, grumbling voice again filled the room.

Nodding at you, he turned and walked out the doorway, leaving you alone with your family.

You turned to look at them, tears filling your eyes when you saw the terror in theirs.

"I have to leave. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you."

"But you know what these people do," a tear slipped from your mother's eye while your father stood beside her silently.  "You know who they're fighting and what they're fighting for." 

You took a deep breath and pulled your mother into a hug before pulling away to look her in the eyes. 

"But if it will keep you safe," you looked down at your brother who was tightly holding your arm.  "I will do anything." 

You ruffled your brother's hair and pulled away from your mom to hug your dad. 

"Don't lose yourself,"  he stared desperately at you, telling you with his eyes that he thought that the Commander was right.  And you felt your heart break, because even you knew that some of what he said was true: you did want more than the life you were living. 

"I love you," you whispered before turning to see Commander Ren in the doorway again, seeming to flinch when he heard your words.

Sighing and wiping tears from your eyes, you followed his billowing cloak out of your house. 

You desperately looked around you, trying to commit your family farm to memory, trying to hold on to the life you had.  As boring as it was, it was home.

You glanced back one last time, feeling everything you've ever known and loved slip out of your reach.