Chapter Twelve: Unprepared

"Slona," 

You sat up suddenly, waking to Kylo dressing himself at the foot of the bed.  You rubbed your eyes and tried to stifle a yawn, watching him until his skin was covered.

"You have fifteen minutes."

"Shit, what the hell! Why the fuck didn't you wake me up earlier?"

You practically fell out of bed and scrambled to pull clothing over your head, feeling the Commander's eyes on you as you pulled on the tight clothing with difficulty.  

"I'll have to do something about that mouth later," 

You glared at him and scooped up your boots before fumbling with the door and racing down the hall in bare feet. 

After passing the training room and running down way too many hallways, you arrived in your quarters.  You ripped off your clothes again to put on clean ones, opting for a long sleeved shirt and pants, both ridiculously tight as usual.  You fastened a belt around the formless robe and pulled a hooded cloak around your neck.  After pulling your boots back on, you wandered into the bathroom with just a few minutes to spare. 

You did a double take when you saw your reflection.  Not only was your hair a horrendous mess, but the bandage on your face had fully dissolved, revealing the long scar.  It wasn't raw like it was the day before, but it was a light pink and very obvious. 

You sighed and combed through your hair with your fingers before securing it out of the way, accepting that this was one thing that you could control.  Just as you finished securing your hair in place and pulling the hood over your head, the door to your room opened, revealing Ren in the hallway.

He handed your lightsaber to you as you stepped out the door. 

"Don't forget this again,"

You stared straight at his mask as you fastened the weapon in your belt.
"Happy?" 

He huffed and started walking down the long corridors.  As usual, you had to walk quickly to keep up with him and you found yourself resenting it.  Of all the things to be mad about, I choose to be upset that he walks fast? 

You followed him to a landing platform and once again saw the Command Shuttle.  Your heart ached slightly, just for a moment, as you remembered seeing the shuttle for the first time, but you pushed those thoughts out of your head and climbed up the ramp. 

Ren motioned to you to sit in a seat next to him and you plopped down, trying to ignore your rising anxiety.  You tore at the skin on your fingers as the shuttle lifted off the ground, your eyes darting nervously around and watching the pilots and Storm Troopers. 

"Um, where are we going exactly?" You chewed your thumb and looked over at the Commander.

"To a neutral base.  We have reason to believe that someone is hiding there," he turned towards you expectantly.  "And has a piece of the map to Luke Skywalker." 

"Skywalker?" You dropped your hands to your lap in surprise.  "I thought he was a myth!" 

He said nothing and faced the front again.  Without thinking, you continued to gnaw at your fingers but swore under your breath when one started bleeding.  Without a word, Kylo dropped a pair of gloves into your lap. 

"I knew you liked the pain," his voice was so quiet it dipped below the synthesizer in his helmet, so soft that you almost couldn't hear it.  You rolled your eyes and pulled them on, now having nothing to distract you from your anxiousness. 

The shuttle landed with a jolt and you jumped out of your seat.  You stood by the Commander as the door slowly opened and followed him down the ramp. 

The base was small and looked like a camp, people stood in front of tents and watched you fearfully.  Two men approached, each holding a blaster at their waists. 

"Commander Ren,"  the two of them stood in front of the Commander, their eyes darting nervously between the two of you and the Storm Troopers not far behind. 

"You have something we want," they backed away as Kylo stepped toward them, looking terrified of his mechanical voice. 

"Don't know what you're talking about." 

"Oh I think you do.  Give us the map,"  he removed his lightsaber from his belt and ignited it.  "And we'll let you go."

"Now!" All of a sudden, a people came running from all over the camp, their blasters shooting in every direction. 

You quickly ignited your lightsaber and deflected the bullets and watched the Commander advance on the two men out of the corner of your eye.  You ducked as a blast went over your head from the right and you turned towards it, making your way towards the man shooting at you. 

He continued to shoot and you deflected each shot.  Realizing that it was a losing battle with the blaster, he chucked it aside and pulled another weapon from his belt.  It crackled with electricity as he swung it at you and you pushed back, having to work much harder against his strength.  You steadied yourself and took the offensive, refusing to admit defeat.

The man collapsed to the ground when you outstretched your hand and focused on gripping at his throat.  He dropped his weapon as he struggled under your Force hold, staring at you with wide eyes.  You released the grip and stood over him, your lightsaber inches from his chest. 

"You don't have to do this,"

Your stomach dropped at his words and memories of the pilot flooded your mind.  Your eyes brimmed with tears as you stared at him and lowered your lightsaber to your side.

"You-" you were cut off by him pulling another blaster from his belt and taking a shot at your left shoulder while you were distracted.  You cried out and your grip on your weapon weakened.

The man took off running, shooting back at you as he went.  You stumbled as you felt another shot to your right hip, raising your lightsaber to fight back but falling to your knees.  Just as you were about to give up, he stopped and looked down at his chest. 

You watched Kylo's lightsaber cut through him, and you looked away, feeling sick. 

You looked past him at the camp, seeing burning tents and bodies all over the ground.  Ren walked towards you and dragged you to your feet.  He put his lightsaber on his belt, picked up yours, and pulled your left arm over his shoulder.  You winced as he pressed your hip against his and helped you limp towards the Command Shuttle. 

He said nothing as he practically carried you up the entrance ramp and dropped you in your seat.  The Storm Troopers were silent as they also boarded the shuttle and the pilots took off.  Once in the air, Ren stormed towards you and yanked you to your feet, his gloved hand around your neck. 

"I guess we were all wrong when we thought you were ready."