Chapter 5 - Initiation

As I opened my eyes I awoke to the sight of plasma fire, I was back on Reach. As I stood to my feet I felt a sharp pain in my chest that sent me back to my knees, I then look to my left to see Kate 353 I only saw her for 3 seconds before I witnesses a Zealot Elite thrust an energy sword through her back mortally wounding her, I looked the other way not being able to watch her slowly choke to death on her own blood, as I look up in the other direction I see James 296 fighting a Brute Chieftain, he climbs onto its back and drives his knife into its neck but it isn't enough to bring the beast down, it grabs him off it's back and throws him to the ground right before bringing it's gravity hammer down right on James's head, he had no time to react as his helmet was crushed into his skull killing him instantly, no not again, this can't be happening again!

I awoke in a heavy sweat to the sound of the alarm I had set for 0800 hours, as I layed up I looked over to Emmitt who was awake and looking at me concerned.

Emmitt:
"you okay man?"

Jack:
"y-yeah, I'm fine"

Emmitt:
"you woke up in a heavy sweat with a look of distraught, that isn't fine"

Jack:
"I had a dream, well a nightmare actually, I saw Kate, and James and..."

Emmitt:
"you watched them die all over again, I had a similar dream, truth be told that's why I was already awake"

Jack:
"their dead Emmitt, and we couldn't save them"

Emmitt:
"don't beat yourself up commander, you saved my life didn't you, that's gotta count for something, Jack more than 30 other Spartans died on reach"

Jack:
"I know, I know, it's just allot to cope with"

Emmitt:
"this is the first time we've slept since the fall of reach, I'm sure it'll pass, gets go get some coffee and go for a run to get out minds off of it"

Jack:
"That sounds like as good a plan as any 144"

Emmitt and I got dressed into some casual track gear, a tank top and cargo pants and went out to the cafeteria and grabbed coffee and proceeded to go for a 30 minute run as a warm up.

Jack:
"Alright, let's make our way back to the dorm room and gear up for the initiation mission"

Emmitt:
"copy that, falling out"

We made our way back to the dorms, it was a Sunday and since no one had any classes the halls were still empty with the ever so feint sound of snoring from sleeping students. We proceed to suit up in the our Mjolnir power armor and begun planning out our loadouts

Emmitt:
"Let's make sure we are equipped to deal with anything, I'll bring an m90 shotgun for close quarters"

Jack:
"good idea, I'll bring my energy sword, what about medium and long range? I was thinking of taking a DMR for long range engagements"

Emmitt:
"alright, I'll take an MA37 Assault rifle for medium range, you should take your dual SMG's"

Jack:
"good thinking, does that sound like everything?"

Emmitt:
"what about heavy weaponry?"

Jack:
"might slow us down a bit, do you think its worth the weight?