Chapter 14

“Chase I-I don’t think I can d-do this.” Now, before you go getting any ideas, let me rewind to last week; it was the day after Chase had called the scout from USC telling him that he was interested in attending the university, along with a couple others that offered him really good stuff too, just to keep his options open of course (much to my persuasion). We were at lunch, sitting with Jase and Ashley as always and Jase was really nervous today, he said that he was going to tell his dad today that he didn’t want to be a football player, and much to my surprise he said that he had actually applied months ago to other universities that offered filmmaking. I was really glad that he had finally built up the courage to tell his dad, and with his mom my his side (he told her the same day after he football game, once he arrived home), he said that his mom was surprised, but that she supported his decisions; I sure hope his dad thought the same way and didn’t disown him or something. Turns out his dad did go on some sort of a rampage and yelled at him for not wanting to pursue the football career, but he came around eventually. Thank God.

It was that day that chase told me he wanted to introduce me to his mother and step-dad, imagine my surprise when those words left his mouth! I was actually quite in shock at first and very nervous due to the fact that we had only been dating for a little less than a month, he had already met my parents of course, but we weren’t dating at the time! My dad had also told me he wanted to meet Chase officially when he got back from his business trip, he was only there for the weekend of my birthday and we couldn't really schedule an “official” dinner due to Chase’s hectic schedule. So there I was on the porch of Chase’s huge house might I add, and I was nervous out of my mind that I could eat my own hair if I could! 

“Will you relax?” he laughed as he slipped his hand with mine once he had opened the door to his house “They will love you.” he said before kissing my head and letting me walk in first. Wow. And yes indeed, wow was the word to describe my surprise at just how beautiful his house was, his stepdad was a neurosurgeon and his mom was in politics. Talk about money! “Just be your normal cute and adorable self.” Yeah right Chase, because my normal self was cute and adorable! NOT! Need I remind you that before we met I couldn’t utter a word in front of people?! 

“That’s comforting.” I muttered and he laughed as he dragged my hand through his house and then to the kitchen where some caterers in cute little chefs outfits were cooking, they greeted Chase with a smile and a “Hello Mr. Harper!” before going back to their cooking; a butler, A BUTLER! opened the doors to the backyard for us where there was a huge pool and then there was a gazebo in the distance. This house looked like a country club or something! Dear God, help me! 

And that’s when I saw them, Chase’s mom and stepdad were currently sitting down at a large table with a glass of red wine each in hand as they talked, when his mom saw us she smiled brightly as she stood up, followed by her stepdad and then made their way towards us. Breathe, Ava. In and out, in and out, in and —

“Chase, darling!” his mother said as she grabbed both sides of his face and gave him a kiss on the cheek “You said she was beautiful, but not gorgeous sweetheart!” she said as she winked playfully at him and then smiled at me “It’s lovely to meet you Ava!” she said as she grabbed both of my shoulders and then hugged me tightly. Friendly. 

“Nice to meet you, ma’am.” I said and she laughed as she waved me off

“Please sweetheart, call me Cassandra!” she said with a bright smile as she linked arms with Chase as they went to sit at the table, I sent him a helpless look as he only laughed at me and continued to walk with his mom, and that when I saw his stepdad. A man probably in his early fifties, buff and with slightly greyish hair and hazel coloured eyes, he looked at me and smiled sweetly as he leaned in and kissed my cheek.