Chapter Eleven

As they walked to the limo, Jennie waited until Thomas opened the door and then handed him a bag and whispered something which caused the driver to start. He blinked, took hold of the bag and nodded with what Lisa saw as a blush coloring his cheeks.

When they returned to Lisa's home, Jennie handed Philippe the other bag and did the same thing.

"You have a kind, innocent heart" Lisa said to Jennie.

"Just thought they'd enjoy a treat too" she replied shyly.

"For that, I thank you."

Jennie gave a half shrug, blushing "it just seemed like the thing to do. They've done so much for me."

"Would you care to sit in the study?"

"Oh yes, I'd love to talk with you in front of the fireplace about all the things you've collected and done" she replied excitedly.

"Then so it shall be" Lisa extended her hand and Jennie immediately took it, this time not letting go until they entered the study.

Lisa waved Philippe off, "Go and enjoy your meal with Veronique that Jennie has gifted you. I can manage."

Lisa knelt in front of the fireplace, building a fire as Jennie asked "So Lisa, can you answer a question for me?"

"If I can, yes" she replied while getting the fire just right and setting the fire screen in place.

"I originally asked you why you picked us up but you were very vague; basic need of human nature and curiosity. I understand the basic need of human nature as the physical manifestations but curiosity, you've got me on. As I thought it was Sakura but you said she put you off."

"Yes" Lisa replied, sitting in the other chair next to Jennie.

"So, was it...and please don't think me egotistical in asking, but why were you curious and was it of Sakura or me?"

Lisa looked from the fire to Jennie, "I do not think of you as egotistical by any means. It was not Sakura" she turned to look off at nothing in particular.

"Oh" Jennie said quietly, "Um, why?" Jennie tucked one leg up under the other and sat to face Lisa.

"You reminded me of two individuals, uniquely different yet who supremely impacted my life. At first in appearance and now in mannerism, personality and character" she looked again to Jennie then back to the fireplace.

"Two people?  Well, that's different. Usually it's the 'you remind me of someone' line" she posed her fingers as air brackets when she spoke the words.

"Each was markedly different in their own right."

"Well, I hope they were good impressions upon you" Jennie said as she admired what she believed was a regal profile as she looked at Lisa staring into the fire.

"Life altering" Lisa replied barely above a whisper.

A light knock, "Mistress?"

"Yes Philippe?"

"The Mademoiselle's phone is ringing. I thought it important she not miss a call."

"Thank you Philippe" Lisa said as Philippe handed Jennie her bag and she scrambled to answer it.

"Hello? Yes, I did Irene, Why? Because they asked and you drove her home and yes they questioned me too. She was my best friend and this has happened to her. No, I don't want to have coffee and discuss this with you. No, I don't want you to swing by to check up on me. I'm fine and being taken care of, safe and secure and I prefer it this way. No, I don't need any help. Irene stop, look could you just STOP! I haven't felt right since our first coffee and if it's all the same to you, I don't want to have you pursue me anymore. Because you wouldn't take no when I tried to tell you, as a matter of fact it was the night Sakura..." Jennie got up out her seat and began pacing the room, running a hand through her hair, "Did you hurt her Irene? Because as far as I know you were the last one to see her, that's why!" her voice rising causing Lisa to rise and walk towards her.