9. "Define Okay."

Neither Aurora or Ricky wanted to go home. Ricky went to big reds, Aurora was invited, but she didn't fancy sleeping in a basement, or with two boys, even though she saw both as her brothers. She realised Evie was out of town at her grandmothers, Carlos had family over and Ashlyn was working with Robotics club at a sleepover, she only had one option. Aurora sighed, knocked on the door. 

"Aurora! How lovely to see you! Are you okay dear?" Mrs Caswell asked. "Not really, my parents-... my parents are splitting up and I need a place to stay, ju-just for the night" she told her softly. "You're welcome here any time" Mrs Caswell led her inside. "Thank you" Aurora thanks the kind woman. "I think I might have some pants you left her from the last time we saw you, i'll go and find you some thing to sleep in and get you settled on the couch" 

Ej heard voices downstairs and instantly recognised them. He crept downstairs and then he saw something which confirmed his suspicions. "Mom? Who's is that?" He pointed to the skateboard that rested by the doorway. "Auroras" she answered quietly. "And why is she here?" he asked, wanting to know why his ex-girlfriend seemed to be staying the night. "She's having trouble at home" his mom told him softly. Ej nodded, that's what they were late, and that's why she had tears in her eyes. He opened his mouth to ask what but his mom beat him to it. "She will tell you if she wants to" Mrs Caswell told him, before walking past to go and get Aurora some bedding. 

Aurora walked out from the bathroom, wearing some east High leggings she must have left, and one of ejs hoodies. "Rory, hey, are you okay?" Ej asked, sitting down on the couch as she made her way over. "Define okay." She sighed. "What's wrong?" he rephrased his question, looking into her eyes. 

"Oh I don't know, Ricky lost his script and then we were looking for it, he finally decided to just borrow and we were about to leave then my mom, who has been in Chicago for ages came home, early. I was so excited to see her, my dad wasn't. We were meant to be meeting her at a restaurant after rehearsal but she caught an early flight and then she just dropped it on us. They're getting a divorce" everything spilled out. Ej grabbed her hand and held it as he could see tears welling in her eyes. "I can't believe it. My parents are getting a divorce. My mom is leaving us. She's going to Chicago. She's leaving me with my dad and Ricky. We don't even get a choice. They just sprung it on us. Just like that, we've decided to legally separate, next thing you know she'll be disowning me because her new boyfriend doesn't want me. Oh god, what if she gets a new boyfriend, will he like me? What will happen?" Aurora panics, her breathing pace quickening. "Rory, rory, breathe, calm down" Ej told her softly. 

Then she let her tears fall. "They're splitting up. Its true" she told him again, her voice breaking. "I know, I know" he says softly, pulling her into a hug, He held her close, holding her until she stopped crying. "Thank you" she wiped her tears. "I'm always here for you ror, no matter what" Ej smiled softly. They both looked at each others lips longingly, then ej pulled his gaze away, his cheeks reddening slightly. "I'll go, i'll go help mom with the bedding" he stood up, Aurora nodding. 

As she sat alone, Miss jeans words echoed around her head. "Go and be with your family" swirled around her head. What was she doing here? This wasn't her home. She was spending potential one of her last nights with her mom at her exes house. What was she doing. She slipped her shoes and and picked up her bag. Quickly, she scribbled them a note, 

Thank you ever so much for letting me stay here, but I need to go and be with my family. I am so lucky to know you both, and thank you again for being willing to let me stay, Aurora <3

She opened the door quietly and slid out, holding her skateboard under her arm. She skated down a little, before stopping and reaching into her bag. once she found her, very tangled, headphones, she plugged them into her phone. Placing each headphone into her earphone made her feel so much calmer. As the songs of High School musical played into her ears, she was in her own little world, where heartbreak like this didn't exist. She skated home, almost forgetting about what was going on there, that was until she reached the door. 

Aurora walked in and her mom gave her a small smile. "I knew you'd be back, have you eaten?" she asked. Aurora shook her head, placing her things down. "I'll make you something" Lynne smiled. "M..mom?" Aurora asked. "Yeah honey?" Lynne replied. "How long are you here for?" she asked, her voice shaking. "At least until the end of the week" she smiled. Aurora nodded, walking over to where ricky was sitting. She sat down next to him and took a headphone from his ear and placed it into hers. He gave her a smile smile and put the pillow he was hugging down so he could give her a hug. The start of something new played in their ears.