Chapter 12- a choice

Five years later

Meredith glare out of the window over the city then look at Wayne that came in quickly. He seemed angrily. Hy approach her quickly.
"You think it's funny to kill my girlfriends?" He asked immediately.
"Well, yes," she laughed and fold her arms looking at him. She seems different. Like her inner colourful self is only black and white now. "Especially if you tell them I left you twice."
"Why would you kill them?"
"I'm jealous," she smiled shamelessly and pull up her shoulders.
He give her an idiotic look and grab her by the throat pinning her against the wall. The only living emotion is the one on her face now, but even that isn't a pretty picture.
"Oh," she laugh wickedly. "You think now that you're a vampire like me and any other, you are stronger and have more ownership?"
"Damnet Meredith!" He shout and let her go standing back. "You left me! Why does that mean I'm not allowed to see someone else?"
She just laugh and take a seat looking at him. One leg crosses over the other. Her lips form into a smile.
"How freaken low do you think I am, Wayne?" She ask. "Do you really think I would kill every girl you screw around with? I've been protecting the children for as long as I can and I'm done. You hear me? I'm done."
He give her an idiotic look and go to the door. He sighed and look back at her. She just sit there. She look down to the floor saddly then back at him.
"Then if you don't kill them, who does?"
She pulls up her shoulders and take the phone next to her. She dials a number and take it to her ear. She give a smile when it got answered.
"Victor," she greet and play with the dress she's wearing. "Oh boy, I'm good. Listen, I've been having throughts about you and Merinda. I accept it, but on one condition, look after her, okay?"
Wayne give her an odd look. She take a deep breath in and release it again.
"Tell Merinda I love her," she whisper with a lump in her throat. "I love you, Victor. Goodbye."
She put the phone down and look at Wayne as if he's some left over from last week. Dirty, clueless and bad for the stomach.
"Are you just going to stand there or are you going to leave?"
"Bye, Meredith."
Hy walk out in disbelieve. She sighed and touch her neck looking at Jasmine that came out with a bag. She open it and show it to Meredith. She look at it then at Jasmine. Jasmine seem so unsure.
"Meredith, are you sure about this?" She ask her worried.
"Yes," she nod nervously and stood up. "I'm sure about it. I just want to get it over with."
Jasmine nod and show her to walk first to her bedroom.

Wayne sit in his apartment drinking wine with another woman. He give her a smile that looked around then back at him.
"So, someone told me that you spend your life with only one woman. Is it true?" She ask sitting forward.
"Yes. Her name is Meredith," he reply. "We have a daughter together and a boy which we found the night we were escaping from...a bear."
She nod impressed and sit back. He gave a scare when someone burst through the door. He look at Merinda that was in tears. She walk to Wayne that stood up and gave her an odd look. She's shaking up with despair.
"What's the matter?" He ask and grab her arms. "Merinda?"
"It's mom," she cry. He look terrified at Victor that came in. He shake his head and break down crying.
"What happened?" Wayne asked. He give them an odd look and run out. Whether he and Meredith was enemies, it never mattered to him because at the end he would've eventually gotten back to her. Deep down he knew it. Maybe the fear of feeling small stepped on his toes.

"We came to thank her for accepting our choices and...we found her like this," Merinda said to her dad before he could enter the room. "We don't know what happened."
He walk pass them. He gasp terrified and grab his mouth. There she lays on her bed in a cement body. Lifeless and historical. He touch her cheek and began to cry. He put his face on her chest and hold her as if she's still in there. But is she?
The question they will have for the rest of their lives further on will always be, 'why did Meredith stop living?'.